Dampness ABOVE downlighters

crt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this a couple of days ago and didn't seem to generate much interest so I'm trying again with a racier subject line.

I'm having installed 12v downlighters in a ground floor bathroom.

The room directly above is another bathroom, the floor of which is sanded boards which have the inevitable gaps. From time to time, water spashes out of the upstairs bath and runs into the void between the floor and the plasterboard ceiling below. The JBs, transformers, cables, flex and lightfittings (which will be splashproof rated - but only from below - and will be fitted with fire hoods) will be in the void.

Question: does the possible presence of damp/moisture in the void pose an electrical risk? If so, how can I avoid it?

(I have considered using silicone to seal any gaps around JBs and other connections - is there a problem with this?).

Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks.

Sponsored Links
crt said:
Question: does the possible presence of damp/moisture in the void pose an electrical risk?
Yes

If so, how can I avoid it?
Keep water away from the lights etc.

(I have considered using silicone to seal any gaps around JBs and other connections - is there a problem with this?).
No, but it won't help the connections to the lights.

Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks.
Seal the floor better.

The regs say you must design the circuit using equipment suitable for the environment it is in. This is the not the case, so if you can't ensure the equipment is waterproof, then you MUST stop water from entering the void.

MUST.

Minimise risks by locating as much as possible under an adjacent floor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice. I've sealed everything, including the offending floor, with silicone, as well as positioning as much as I can in an adjacent floor void.

The circuit is also protected by an RCD. Presumably this helps as well?

Thank you. I think this is all academic now as I have sealed the floor and moved the JBs.

However, just in case there were to be damp penetration: the 12v fittings and transformers are not earthed. The main JB, feed cables and JB for each transformer (but not the 240v feed for each transformer) are earthed.

Where would the electrical hazard be: at the transformer 240v feed or at one of the 12v fittings or feeds?

If at the 12v side, is the hazard due to the increased amperage due to the 240v step down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back