Fire hoods above downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologise if this has been asked before, but i recently ordered some fire rated 12v downlights for the bathroom but when i received them i noticed that there is no in built hood on them like the non bathroom rated ones. Does this mean that i have to add my own hood or, like a technical advice line i rang, do they comply with modern regs. Please note that these lights are to go into a ceiling that has a floor above and also has insulation within the void between ceiling and floorboard.

Sponsored Links
without a make and model, or a picture it's hard for us to tell you if they are right or not..

without a make and model, or a picture it's hard for us to tell you if they are right or not..

Sorry mate there the 'JCC Fireguard range' think the model number is jc94003. Its got plastered all over the box that they are fire rated but i'm just wondering because of there being no hood and it being between ceiling and floor.

Is this a standard 2 storey dwelling? If so then you don't need fire rated fittings or fire hoods.

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate there the 'JCC Fireguard range' think the model number is jc94003. Its got plastered all over the box that they are fire rated but i'm just wondering because of there being no hood and it being between ceiling and floor.

The fitting body and glass provide the fire barrier but it's only really needed if the fitting is breeching a ceiling between two separate fire compartments.

Is this a standard 2 storey dwelling? If so then you don't need fire rated fittings or fire hoods.

It is yeah. I didn't realise that so if say you were putting downlights that were also fire rated but had no hood into a ceiling with a void of about 1 metre above it would this then be ok?

It is yeah. I didn't realise that so if say you were putting downlights that were also fire rated but had no hood into a ceiling with a void of about 1 metre above it would this then be ok?

Yes, that's fine. Fire rated or not, hoods or not.

BTW, it's one or the other - fire rated fittings or hoods, not both.

What do you mean by fitting body? As there is nothing above the lamp is there any danger of the fire spreading this way?

What do you mean by fitting body? As there is nothing above the lamp is there any danger of the fire spreading this way?

The metal body of the fitting where the glass is situated.
There isn't a can on the rear of the fitting as this particular one doesn't require it.

Fire rated fittings are to stop the spread of fire from one compartment to another, not from the fitting or lamp. The intention is to maintain the integrity of the existing ceiling.

The metal body of the fitting where the glass is situated.
There isn't a can on the rear of the fitting as this particular one doesn't require it.

Fire rated fittings are to stop the spread of fire from one compartment to another, not from the fitting or lamp. The intention is to maintain the integrity of the existing ceiling.

Brilliant thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back