Danesmoor 15 19 strange leak/ condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New to this site. I have a danesmoor 15 19 and there is what appears to be a leak of some water based fluid. It's crumbles to the touch and I suspect it's is coming out of the chimney and flowing down the outside of the pipe. I have a cowl on the chimney so I can't confirm this yet. Has anyone seen this before.

Sponsored Links
Trying to narrow it down. It coincides with a new full of oil. Is it possible that oil burning at a higher temperature or with impurities could cause this?

This has to be one of the great mysteries of life......you say that its a water based fluid that crumbles to the touch, oozing out of the chimney :eek:
Are there any inspection doors in the flue pipe that you can open?
Can you post a photo?
John :)

A fluid by definition is a substance which flows.

So how can it crumble?

Sponsored Links
It flows down the outside of the pipe then solidifies. The solidified streams are hard and crumble to the touch. Ill post a photo

Just a couple of questions.....is there any smoke to be seen at the top of the chimney? Has there been any boiler problems recently?
What is the flue pipe made of? It seems to be porous from the inside therefore can we assume its asbestos?
Is the terminal on the top of the flue pipe in good condition i.e can it stop rain pouring down the chimney?
John :)

This is just a guess BUT... Probably an unlined flue or the the liner has corroded causing condensation / Rain to run down outside of pipe.

What I said in previous post. PLUS..............
Your flue is Fooooooked!!

It looks a very large collar for a 15/19..

I would also check inside boiler for leaks.

I'm NOT suprised you have problems, that flue is a MESS
the female sockets on an oil fired boiler are supposed to face upward (unlike gas which should be the otherway round) this is to allow condensation within the flue to run back to the boiler.
However your flue was bodged up when the Danesmoor was fitted and the older oil fired boiler waws removed (I've seen flue pipes reduced in diameter many many times and 99% have problems!! :unsure:

Whichever orientation you choose .I stand by my initial diagnosis.

It's FOOOOOOOOKED!!

The second pic is the right way round. It just started to do this in the last month or so. Previous three years it all worked fine. One event was the fitting of a cowl in August and it hasn't been used much since. Second was new oil which seemed to burn hotter ( maybe my imagination). Many thanks for all the replies. My sense is that it's soot or material from inside the pipe condensing on the cowl and flowing down the outside of the pipe. Water evaporates leaving this crumbly material in streaks. Anyone seen this before?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back