Danfoss 103 to Hive Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

So I currently have a very old system installed in my house the Danfoss 103 and looking to convert it to the Hive. (Water Pump, Hot Water Tank, Backboiler?)

Its a weird system as I don't have a thermostat during the summer we use the button to heat the water only - attached is the pictures of my current layout

Please could someone help with with wiring required for the hive.
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, the Hive is not really ideal for use with your existing system. From the wiring, it would appear that the 103 is being used as a single on/off timeswitch to control the boiler and the pump which are wired together. So, when it's on, both the hot water and central heating will operate. In the summer it seems that you switch the whole thing off and heat the hot water using an independent electric immersion heater.

If your existing heating system plumbing is configured so that the hot water cylinder is heated by gravity circulation of water from the boiler and only the central heating is pumped, you could connect a Hive (Dual Channel version) set to 'gravity' mode which would give you limited functionality. It would let you have the hot water on without the central heating in the summer, but not vice versa. If you want to proceed on this basis, to provide you with further advice I would need to know:

1. Confirmation of your plumbing set up. Is it gravity hot water and pumped central heating as per the simplified diagram below?

gravity.gif

There are presently two wires [red and black] in terminal 1 of the 103 timeswitch.

wires.JPG

One will likely go to the pump and the other to the boiler. Can you confirm this, and say which is which please?

Having said all of the above, ideally, you should have the plumbing updated to convert it to being fully pumped, and include a motorised valve that would allow you to use the full functionality of the Hive to provide independent control of the central heating and hot water. This work will need to be done when you have a new boiler in the future anyway as today's modern boilers can't be used with gravity hot water systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back