Danfoss 103 with Y Valve setup to Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I know this topic has been covered before, but I can’t seem to see anything with my specific wiring setup so am looking for advice.

I have an ideal boiler that has a Danfoss 103 timer and a Honeywell room thermostat.

There’s a yellow cable connecting to the live of the boiler via a terminal block, other than that, there’s very few wires at the Danfoss controller itself. I’ll post pictures to see if that makes more sense.

looking for advice on how I can wire the hive in without disconnecting all of the existing wiring to trace it all, and start again. Any help much appreciated!

F88BC6D8-0671-442A-931C-1FB069DF4EDC.jpeg
668CC7E9-347B-40CF-9B20-D5D3B5AE6FDB.jpeg
3A27A2A2-72DD-42F3-B06F-30183E9414B1.jpeg
66DED7FE-CB6C-4DEE-A7EF-66218FB6574E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The Danfoss 103 is a single channel timeswitch, so the heating and hot water share the same on/off times and wiring connections. The terminals are:

103.JPG

From the above, can see that the switching wires are in terminals 1 & 3.

The Hive Dual Channel Receiver (which is the version you need for a Y-Plan) needs separate wires connecting for the heating and hot water. However, your 103 isn't wired like this. As you can see, in your case, there is only on set of wires connected to terminals 1 & 3

wires.JPG

Therefore the heating and hot water wiring are not separate at the moment, which means unfortunately that you cannot replace the 103 with the Hive, without rewiring.

Edit
Here's a diagram showing Hive in a Y-Plan installation. Note some boilers require a pump overrun, in which case the pump will be wired directly to special pump terminals at the boiler instead and not as shown below. The boiler may also have an additional permanent live supply which also isn't shown.

Y-Plan-Hive.gif

Last edited:
yours is a complete bodge of wiring, you have a time switch and not a programmer, if you want to use the hive dual channel you will need to rewire

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for your replies gents. I’m assuming that if a pump overrun or permanent live to the boiler existed, they’d be pretty obvious for me to see? Happy to rewire, was just hoping I didn’t have to!

Sponsored Links
Yes it all relates to the boiler wiring terminals. If you tell us the make / model of your boiler then someone will probably be able to tell you.

Based on the info in the manual, it has neither pump overrun, nor require a permanent live.

Capture.JPG

In which case, the diagram I posted earlier is correct.

• Thanks
Thanks for your replies gents. I’m assuming that if a pump overrun or permanent live to the boiler existed, they’d be pretty obvious for me to see? Happy to rewire, was just hoping I didn’t have to!
not a big deal to rewire, get yourself some 5 core 0.75mm flex and the job is easy, you dont currently have a cyl thermostat, would be an idea if not too big a job to fit one when you are fitting the Hive

• Thanks
not a big deal to rewire, get yourself some 5 core 0.75mm flex and the job is easy, you dont currently have a cyl thermostat, would be an idea if not too big a job to fit one when you are fitting the Hive

Thanks for this. You’ve all been a massive help and have certainly outdone my expectations! There is a cylinder thermostat there, I forgot the send pictures of it. It’s the white wire in the last photo running down and to the right.

Thanks for this. You’ve all been a massive help and have certainly outdone my expectations! There is a cylinder thermostat there, I forgot the send pictures of it. It’s the white wire in the last photo running down and to the right.
I see the white wire but cant see which cable it is connected to you will need three cores for your Cyl stat, Com , NO and NC if it has 3 cores the wiring with a piece of 5 core will be easy, you can buy the cable by the Meter you dont need much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back