Danfoss programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't moved in yet so have few further details but in principle can I swap a Danfoss programmer with a Drayton without wiring alterations if they both have a 'standard backplate'?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
If industry standard backplate, then usually a straight swap. Guide above should prove useful.

You don't say whether you are wanting to swap a single channel or a dual channel programmer. They both use the same standard backplate but have different connections. However, you can ignore this provided that you are exchanging a single channel for another single channel, or a dual channel for another dual channel.

With the dual channel programmer, there is a setting on the back that selects the type of heating system the programmer is connected to. The vast majority now are 'pumped' but some some older systems are 'gravity'.

Sponsored Links
Out of interest why do you want to swap them? The advent of so called energy saving lights means you get no inferred heat from the lights any more, with tungsten lights although the thermostat was set to 18ºC which is a little on the cool side, in the evening with lights on, it felt like 20ºC so would have a programmer simply switching the heating on/off.

However when the CFL then LED came along we found in the evening we felt cold so wanted heating to 20ºC but don't want to waste energy during the day, so we swapped the thermostat for a programmable thermostat, DHW was direct from a boiler (not Combi) so no need to control DHW, so this ae235.jpgsimple thermostat was good enough, and the programmer was removed. I suppose today with programmable TRV heads one does not really need a wall thermostat, you can easy turn off heating on warm days manually, but before you buy and fit a new programmer, just think is that what I really want?

@stem has pointed out there are systems which can require slightly different wiring or programming. The C Plan is still used a lot with oil central heating as it allows the boiler to cool by heating the DHW, as does the Y Plan. In some programmers there was both a mechanical and electric switch, you can't with C Plan you can't turn off DHW when CH is running, so there is a system so you can't select CH only.

Each make can use different methods to achieve the same result. Hive programmable thermostat uses a software fix, Nest used a wiring fix. Not sure what Drayton Wiser and Honeywell Evo home use. Think about what you will want in 5 years time, to swap a programmer then latter swap it again is pointless, I made an error fitting Nest, although that was down to poor information, I thought when I bought it my TRV heads would work with it.

I maybe in error started with programmable TRV heads, and they worked so well in the last house (mothers) I never changed the programmer and thermostat, this house has not worked out so good, and this is also a consideration, we tend to base everything on our own house, the three house I have lived in during last 10 years were all very different to each other. My house (not mothers) was open plan, and there was no need for TRV's down stairs, and upstairs they just stopped bedrooms over heating.

So why do you want to change the programmer?

Thanks all. Like I said I haven't moved in yet but it had passed me by that as this is a combi based system I would only need to control the heating, which may mean a like for like. (Slaps forehead!)

Think I'll move in and try for a few weeks before considering or dismissing a thermostat. Thought it was a legal requirement though, or maybe that's new builds?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back