Dangerous fitting or dangerous bulbs?

Sponsored Links
No adaptors. The lamps are good quality from a reputable merchants and the G9 bulbs fit direclty in the lamps. There would be no room for any protective cover as the 'shades' are only a few inches high.

can someone also tell me what safety precautions I need to take? I can pull the trip switch back down - then am I OK to extract the two wire loops left in the fitting? I guess I'll need pliers...

Sponsored Links
Switch the remaining lamps ON. then switch the MCB ( the trip) down and check the lamps have gone OFF ( confirms you have turned OFF the correct MCB ) then switch the switch for the lamps OFF ( double protection ).

Pliers should pull out the remains of the bulbs, then check there is no debris left in the holder that would prevent the replacement bulb being fully inserted.

so Asda, Tesco, Lidi, or Aldi and I would not expect these stores to have buyer who really know what they are offering for sale
Well I would.

Buyers are professionals - they get paid for doing it. If they don't know about the things they are going out to source, i.e. don't know how to do their job, then they should not be doing it and their employer should not be employing them.

Ban did pick up on G9 ES but he did not seem to consider it was an adaptor.
You're not wrong there.

The lamps are good quality from a reputable merchants and the G9 bulbs fit direclty in the lamps.
If the G9 capsules are not enclosed, then I disagree that they are good quality.
When I say lamps - for clarification - I mean the fittings.
I meant enclosed by the luminaire.
I think that this is a good illustration of how the changes in terminology/vocabulary which have occurred can result in total confusion!

Just as with my "table lamps", "standard lamps", "inspection lamps" and "headlamps", the "lamp" to which the OP was referring was a fitting/luminaire, not a "lamp which one plugs into the lamp" (aka a bulb!)!

Kind Regards, John

Just checked up on the mess. One blown bulbs has destroyed its fitting. The other is almost embedded (what is left of it). P1050016.JPG P1050015.JPG

60 watt are excessive and run too hot and if the rooms cold that tends to make them fail, though rarely shatter, put in ones about 30 watt, I have never seen smaller wattage ones shatter and fail less.
If not on a dimmer then get G9 led

Its unlikely you will get the wires out with pliers as with A G9 the glass base will be wedged in, usuallly you have to dig it out with a screwdriver without cracking the base

EDIT
AS IN THE PHOTO YOU JUST POSTED

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back