Problem with halogen light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved to a new home in January. In the dining room is a ceiling light fitting with 4 small halogen bulbs (Phillips G9) controlled by a dimmer switch. Up until last week it all worked perfectly. Then one evening there was a flash and the lights went out and tripped out the downstairs lighting circuit. I found that one bulb had blackened and was obviously gone. When I replaced the bulb the fitting still didn't work. I can't detect any other damage to the fitting. Could it be a problem with the dimmer switch? Can anyone advis eme please?

Sponsored Links
Yep.

A failing lamp can destroy a dimmer switch, although normally they fail in a way which results in the switch part working, but it can no longer be dimmed.

The dimmer would be my first suspect.

Some makes of dimmer have a small fuse located in a pull out at the bottom of the switch plate - check this as they can operate when a lamp blows to protect the dimmer !

I was under the impression that you can't reliably use a halogen light (transformer inside) with a standard dimmer switch.

I was told the indictance of the transformer resists instantanious current change such as that provided by the thyristor in a dimmer switch.

Is that right?

We retrofitted a halogen on a circuit with a dimmer and it worked for a while before going pop, now just the on off switch works.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to RF Lighting. I changed the dimmer switch for a new one today and the lights are now back working perfectly - until the next bulb blows I suppose. Thanks for the helpful advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back