Dangerous thoughts (planning app near protected tree...?!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been mulling over a few options for the continued revamp of our place, and I reckon I could fit another garage to one side. Only thing is, there is a protected tree rather close.

According to my fag-packet sketches it would come no closer than 3m away from the tree.

Anyone got experience of applying for planning that close? I could either go for a raft with timber frame building, or piled footings with something more... or really anything most likely to be successful!

Sponsored Links
It's easy to find out how old a tree is,
1 cut it down,
2 count the rings
If this is not an option, to find out if it is a mature tree,
1,Go up to it,
2 put your arms around the trunk,
3, If it says "excuse me have we been introduced" then it is a mature tree.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's easy to find out how old a tree is,
1 cut it down,
2 count the rings
If this is not an option, to find out if it is a mature tree,
1,Go up to it,
2 put your arms around the trunk,
3, If it says "excuse me have we been introduced" then it is a mature tree.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

mutley.gif

Sponsored Links
:LOL: cheers chessspy, I'll try that...

Yes it is a mature tree, it enjoys classical music, fine wines and expensive food.

Oh and is twice the height of the house...

It's a Scots Pine which I've been told can have different root systems depending on location - either shallow spread, shallow fine or deep tap. Given that the base of the trunk is 1.5m above ground level in a round retaining wall (only 3m larger diameter than the tree itself, which is 0.7m diameter) I'd hazard a guess that it's either got a fairly serious tap root or is clinging on for dear life!![/b]

Like it. nose.
It's a shame we never met when I was a trowel warrior.
Any time your in the smoke give me a bell.
( my number is all over, just google me)

So did anyone have anything to add to this? Got the plans drawn up but want to add in notes about the intended construction that will give me the best chance of success!

Piled foundation with a high level beam say 300x300, to minimise damage to the radial roots. Might have to actually cast the beam above ground level, depending on the species and arboriculturist advice, but it's do-able.

If you're on clay soils, might need to think about heave protection on the piles and beams.

Not a major problem, really.

Right, piled it is on the app then :) . I'd need to put at least 150mm of the beam below ground level as the car will have clearance akin to a woodlouse backside! Seeing as I've already used piles for the other extension - and it worked out quite cheap - it would be easy to re- use the structural engineers facts and figures as well. If I'm doing that I might look into matching the house style as well and go for a few courses of brick at the bottom!

well, that bit was ;) assuming it's passed you can expect 101 more stupid questions on building a garage on the cheap in about 4 weeks time.... LOL sorry, forgot local council... 12 weeks time!

Delinquent, I've a lot of trees in my garden so when I built my garage it was going to be close to trees. I've around 14 large trees within 2m of the garage, the nearest is probably less than 500mm. The foundations vary from around 750mm to about 1200mm.

There was no problem with planning though building control said it couldn't be done, they were wrong. It depends on the ground you've got. If you don't know what's there it may pay to dig a test hole first.

interesting - were any of those tree's protected?

Soil here is massively variable so I'd actually prefer the piling option - some areas are very loose sand that collapses if you even look at it funny. (which was interesting on the first 9m bore they augered.... )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back