Darwin and Nazi Ideaology

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Survival of the fittest.

"I don't claim that Darwin and his theory of evolution brought on the holocaust;
but I cannot deny that the theory of evolution, and the atheism it engendered,
led to the moral climate that made a holocaust possible"
Jewish scholar Edward Simon

"From his own journal in Chapter One we have read where Darwin regarded the Indians of South America as little better than beasts that should be slaughtered to make way for better grazing land for cattle."

"Thus Darwin is asking at the beginning of his Descent if this law of his leading to the advancement of all organic beings, "multiply, vary, let the strongest live and the weakest die," also applies to the race of humankind as well.

He goes on to ask in his Descent if the races of man actually differ enough to be divided up into what he later refers to as sub-species of man: "It might also naturally be enquired whether man, like so many other animals, has given rise to varieties and sub-races, differing but slightly from each other, or to races differing so much that they must be classed as doubtful species?"

Finally, again all on the very first page of his Descent of Man, for any reader to see, he poses the genocidal question as to whether or not a race war might produce "beneficial" results for mankind, with one race of man surviving and another race being exterminated:

"The enquirer would next come to the important point, whether man tends to increase at so rapid a rate, as to lead to occasional severe struggles for existence; and consequently to beneficial variations, whether in body or mind, being preserved, and injurious ones eliminated. Do the races or species of men, whichever term may be applied, encroach on and replace one another, so that some finally become extinct?"

To even pose such a question should naturally revolt any intelligent and moral person in a civilized society, however Darwin not only posed these questions at the beginning of his Descent of Man, we also find out that his own answer to all three questions, again on the very first page of his Descent of Man was YES! "

Quoted from the darwin papers

Sponsored Links
I find it difficult to guess what the point is that you hope to convey by your cut-and-paste.

Are you hoping to suggest that the theory of evolution has been scientifically disproven?

It's interesting that you mention a Jewish scholar speaking of the idea of racial superiority. this idea has its roots long before Darwin.

You might examine, for example, Leviticus 25:44 which tells the people of Israel that they are entitled to enslave the people of other nations; or Leviticus 25:45 which tells them they are entitled to buy immigrants as slaves.

Leviticus 25:42 tells them that the people of Israel are not to be slaves.

Psalm 2:8 tells them that all non-Jews should be their slaves, and that the people of Israel are entitled to own all parts of the earth.

I don't suppose many people believe all that nonsense today.

Did Darwin hypothesise that strength would come through joy ? the strength needed to be the fittest and survive . How come there are so many miserable b`stards about now ?

No

he postulated that variants which were most suited to the conditions in which they found themselves would be more successful than those less suited, even within the same species.

For example dark-skinned people in Northern Europe suffer vitamin D deficiency, leading to rickets, sick and deformed children, women dying in childbirth etc, so a paler-skinned population would develop.

In areas of strong sunlight, a darker skin would be less prone to burning and skin cancer, so a darker-skinned population would be more successful.

In these examples, neither variant is "stronger." But each is more fit for the environment in which it prospers.

Sponsored Links
Evolutionary doctrine states that the fittest, strongest and most adaptable survive.

This theory is proven correct for wild animals.

Human intervention via scientific means, in particular medicine, means that even the weak, sick or vulnerable humans survive or even thrive.

Nazi ideology attempted to balance out the human intervention thing and tried to revert back to ensuring the fittest survive whilst the weak perished, in their own horrific clinical way.

Darwin said:
Do the races or species of men, whichever term may be applied, encroach on and replace one another, so that some finally become extinct?

Desmond Morris said:
Competitors appear to have been ruthlessly exterminated. It is no accident that we are the only species of our type left alive."

(My apologies if I didn't get that second quote exactly right because I don't have the book in front of me.)

We have good evidence for the existance of a number of other hominid species, all of which are now extinct. Whether or not we (H Sapiens) 'ruthlessly exterminated' them is open to debate. Nature is perfectly capable of exterminating an entire species without our help.

Nazi ideology attempted to balance out the human intervention thing and tried to revert back to ensuring the fittest survive whilst the weak perished, in their own horrific clinical way.

Ahh with a bit of help from Zyklon B ;)

I find it difficult to guess what the point is that you hope to convey by your cut-and-paste.

Are you hoping to suggest that the theory of evolution has been scientifically disproven?

It's interesting that you mention a Jewish scholar speaking of the idea of racial superiority. this idea has its roots long before Darwin.

You might examine, for example, Leviticus 25:44 which tells the people of Israel that they are entitled to enslave the people of other nations; or Leviticus 25:45 which tells them they are entitled to buy immigrants as slaves.

Leviticus 25:42 tells them that the people of Israel are not to be slaves.

Psalm 2:8 tells them that all non-Jews should be their slaves, and that the people of Israel are entitled to own all parts of the earth.

I don't suppose many people believe all that nonsense today.

You may have realised that Nazi idealogy was based on darwinion theorising good for you, I had never connected them and thought it was interesting.
Especially as darwin thought it was a good idea to eradicate the south american indians so the land could be used for cattle raising.

Slavery ............still going strong.

You may have realised that Nazi idealogy was based on darwinion theorising
No, I think it was based on fear and hatred of people who are "different." Typical of Fascists and other Far Right extremists.

Jews, Gypsies, Quakers, Communists, Homosexuals, Mentally Ill, Disabled, Trades Unionists - all hated and murdered by the Nazis.

An attachment by some Nazis to a perverted view of Darwin's theories was just an attempt to justify their hatred.

In Apartheid South Africa, it was possible to find preachers who would claim that the Bible justified it.

The Nazis didn't invent Racism, anti semitism was rife in Britain and America, Zionism is a racist philosophy so why do people go on so much about the Nazis.
A lot of Nazis were influenced by people like Galton and Maria Stopes the founder of the modern abortion industry, euthanasia is now legal in Belgium, babies are routinely aborted for minor imperfections like a hare lip.

Maria Stopes the founder of the modern abortion industry

Nonsense

Marie Stopes was a great advocate of education on contraception.

Thank gods for the wide availability of contraception knowledge which has pretty well done away with the shameful trade of the back-street abortionist.

Ignorance and unavailability of contraception used to lead to a great many unwanted pregnancies, leading not only to widescale amateurish and dangerous abortion, but also to both lots of "orphanages" and childrens homes for the unwanted, and the deaths in childbirth or later of older women, and large families which the parents could not afford to feed or clothe properly.

You may have realised that Nazi idealogy was based on darwinion theorising good for you, I had never connected them and thought it was interesting.
Especially as darwin thought it was a good idea to eradicate the south american indians so the land could be used for cattle raising.

Slavery ............still going strong.[/quote]

I'm sure you'll have lots of evidence for your claim of Darwinism to the Nazis. In the meantime, you may find the following link interesting, which looks at Mein Kampf, and Christianity's role in anti-semitism. And the lack of Darwinism in Nazi ideology.

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/EvolNazi.HTM
Martin Luther wasn't a nice chap was he.

Lets not forget that many people ask the question of whether Hitler was a Christian. Well, lets quote Mein Kampf, and find out:

And so I believe to-day that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. In standing guard against the Jew I am defending the handiwork of the Lord.[1]
Therefore, I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews, I am doing the Lord's work.
I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mein_Kampf

Although Darwin didn't coin the phrase, Darwin's theories certainly embodied Survival of the Fittest in nature. And lets not forget, there was nothing natural about the Nazi's "selection".

Darwin theories were used to give scientific credibilty to racism by the Victorian imperialists, various theories about the origins of mankind have been knocking around since the ancient Greeks,
Darwin had no formal Qualifications in his subject , basically he was saying that whites where an improved version of blacks and that due to Natural selection the Black
races would die out.

Sponsored Links
Back