Dash cam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone use here use them. Whats a decent mid range Dash cam ? thoughts.. I only do a 2/3 K miles so not wanting too superduper ..

Sponsored Links
We've got 2 cars, each with a Nextbase 'cam. The daily drive has a model 412 & the infrequently used older car has a 112.
The advantage of these is that the power supply (wired directly to ignition in each case) goes to the mount rather than the camera itself, so when we only had one camera it could be swapped between either car & installed in seconds.

There are more dash-cams on the market than you can shake a stick at, even cheap ones do the job thanks to modern technology ... our 412 model wasn't cheap, but then it was a Christmas present several years ago ;)

You're welcome.
I think all dash-cam kits come with a lead for the cigar lighter, which for your low usage application would probably be ideal as it would save delving under the facia to make a connection. I wired our old car myself, but the daily drive was left to an auto electrician ... too many electricals for me !

Sponsored Links
I’ve had this one for over 5 years now, first in our Evoque and now in our A3. I like it because it’s discreet and it’s hardwired. It’s practically out of the drivers view as it’s behind the rear view mirror. Never had any problems with it. I just can’t stand ones that plug in to the cig lighter and sit halfway down the screen right in your field of view, held on to the screen by a sucker.

C5582407-22EC-4993-9572-1C0861DA98C0.jpeg

I used to have one of those Mottie, while it was fundamentally a good camera, I found that it didn't take long for the internal Li-Po battery to fail due to the extremes of temperature in the cabin. This means that when you turn the ignition off, the unit dies immediately, meaning that it doesn't save the last x minute loop of footage - footage that could be crucial in the event of an accident.
I now have one with a super capacitor instead, which has proven more reliable.

I have a couple of these Mobius dash cams, front and back:
https://carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-actioncamera-dual-camera-bundle.html

Very small, so less noticeable. No screen, but plug into computer to view and provide excellent pictures day and night.
I'd advise buying the capacitor version for cars, rather than the battery version which is more useful for other applications such as bicycles or drones, etc.

Get it wired in so it starts and stops with your ignition.
My cigarette lighter socket is always on so I have to remember to unplug/replug it when I get in and it takes up the socket I would want for charging my phone when needed.

Get it wired in so it starts and stops with your ignition.
My cigarette lighter socket is always on so I have to remember to unplug/replug it when I get in and it takes up the socket I would want for charging my phone when needed.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my post, but yes I do have them plugged in to the 5V outlets front and boot. Fortunately, they power turns off when the ignition is turned off. Much more convenient than having to unplug and plug back in every time.

Next Base are a recommended best buy from Which? and have good reports. One of my cars has a built in satnav but for the other one I have an elderly Tom Tom which has been excellent, unless you want to find somewhere that's been built in the last few years, in which case it usually shows you in a field. Unfortunately it won't update - to old apparently. There are some cheap secondhand ones on Ebay.

Peter

I imported one from China 8 years ago, cost around £30. It records to a Sandisk, HD front lower res to rear and it's sound recording is absolutely brilliant. It is fitted to the top of the screen, hidden by sun flap thingummy. It came with a ciggy adaptor 5v PSU, so I added an extra ciggy socket hidden in the dash, powered when the ignition came on, with all wires concealed - I didn't like the idea of having to plug it in and have wires dangling about.

The video from it has already been used to convict two maniac drivers. The police tell me that a good clear audio commentary, when I see a situation developing, is really helpful.

The video from it has already been used to convict two maniac drivers. The police tell me that a good clear audio commentary, when I see a situation developing, is really helpful.

Can't have the audio activated on mine, some of these prats on the road induce some choice language which I keep within parameters of the car :censored:

Can't have the audio activated on mine, some of these prats on the road induce some choice language which I keep within parameters of the car :censored:

Comment from the police, when I have sent them video to back up an incident - They are well used to the language, it adds to the situation, rather than detracts. Activate the audio and make a point of recording a commentary if you see a situation developing.

One of my reported incidents was on the M62, in heavy traffic around Manchester, with a 50mph limit whilst I was towing back home from Pembrokeshire. Everyone was behaving themselves perfectly, except for one maniac driving a large LGV. He was tailgating, switching from lane to lane, bullying is way in and out of the lanes as he switched by moving sideways into the sides of other vehicles. I had been watching his progress for several minutes coming up behind me as did this numerous times, made comments on it for the audio with every intention of reporting his driving at my first opportunity. I was in L1, he eventually came alongside me in L2, he was 6 feet behind a 4x4 the driver of which was obviously looking distressed being followed so very closely. The LGV driver saw a small gap appeared ahead of me, so to get out from behind the 4x4 he swerved sideways as if to deliberately force me off the road. SWMBO, pre-warned by my commentary screamed, I had no choice but than to brake heavily, or be hit by the side of the LGV and he pulled into L1. I added the name on the side of the LGV, the registration number, colour, make and etc.. just in case the cam failed to pick it up.

I caught up with him once clear of the 50, on the climb up to the Pennines and was able to add a description of the driver to the audio. The police said that my commentary on his progress before he came alongside me, sealed his fate and confirmed his actions were deliberate. Without that, his just appearing to pull into the side of me, could have been a simple accidental occurrence - his failing to realise I was there.

Once home, I rang Manchester police who asked me to email the entire video sequence ASAP.

I caught up with him once clear of the 50, on the climb up to the Pennines and was able to add a description of the driver to the audio. The police said that my commentary on his progress before he came alongside me, sealed his fate and confirmed his actions were deliberate. Without that, his just appearing to pull into the side of me, could have been a simple accidental occurrence - his failing to realise I was there.
Once home, I rang Manchester police who asked me to email the entire video sequence ASAP.

Very public spirited of you H, but I admit to being uneasy about the usage of private citizen's evidence to prop up the lack of effective policing. The presence of marked police vehicles, plus unmarked units (as we have in Essex) is the real answer ... the former as a visible deterrent & the latter as enforcers. Personally speaking I'm most impressed by the sight of police motorcycles, with their ability to weave through heavy traffic & out-accelerate just about every misdemeanour.
My dash-cam footage is evidential in the case of an accident, rather than reporting the driving standards of others. In the situation you found yourself in I would be more likely to contact the police at the time, giving my current location together with details of the offending vehicle.

Do any cams look sideways?

Thats where you want them to look to trap the "giving way" scammers.

Sponsored Links
Back