dataline dialler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just recently when ever i surf the web i keep getting "please click yes to load page,you will be charged £1.50 per min"
i keep doing a search and find it in my settings & documents which i keep deleting asweel as all my cookies/history.
i have norton antivrus running aswell as zone alarm pro & adaware
but it keeps popping back up even on british secure websites.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
its some where in your pc, you must find it to remove it.

next time it pops up right click on it to see its properties, then search for what it just said it was and dletet it.

mind you you dont wory about that when you have broadband

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
just recently when ever i surf the web i keep getting "please click yes to load page,you will be charged £1.50 per min"
i keep doing a search and find it in my settings & documents which i keep deleting asweel as all my cookies/history.
i have norton antivrus running aswell as zone alarm pro & adaware
but it keeps popping back up even on british secure websites.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
any help would be much appreciated.
Try using SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY and immunise, hopefully it will stop re-infection.

Agree with kendor. Spybot should show the dialler in a folder in the Registry. Go into the Registry and delete the folder and it's contents.

Sponsored Links
OMG ..... Don't mess with the registry unless you know what you are about !!
http://www.wilderssecurity.com Is a good forum with regards to PC web / general security issues.

As are :-

http://forums.net-integration.net

http://tomcoyote.com/
Just like diynot in operation worth adding to armoury !!

You need more detail ref your problem really.

Llittle progs like HijackThis.exe - don't let the name put you off !! - can be very useful in showing all the start up progs and various other data about your PC including the progs which are run from the registry ... At the forums mentioned you will notice how
they ask for 'hijackthis logs', these are generated by the prog, you then post to the forum ... experts there will comment on your situation, and usually put you to rights .... I use Hiajckthis.exe .. it is a free utility and very handy.

P

Pip said:
Don't mess with the registry unless you know what you are about !!
True, but that applies to everything. There are guys who post on here who clearly do not understand how to wire a light switch but get some good advice on here and learn how to do it.
Isn't that what this forum is for? If someone 'knew what they were about' then they wouldn't ask for advice would they?

Murry' Have a look again, the information I supplied really is quite decent.
I have spent a while on the sites I mentioned, there is a lot of info, with lots on how to safely mod the registry and where to look etc.
I was, hopefully, helping by shortcutting for the poster the laborious business of trying various sites ... There is a fair bit to bone up on with regard to PC probs.
I reckon there was some fair advice in my post.

P

Pip, you gave some good links to some decent info' ok, but I was trying to say there is some good advice on this site.
I have first hand experience of downloading a premium rate dialler after a visit to a 'girly' site :oops: , and successfully removing it. I've just read ohmygod's first post again and I don't think he has downloaded a dialler. If he had, it would dial up without telling him. That is the reason why it's a good idea to have your pc set so that you can hear the modem dial out; you get used to the noise as it dials your isp. If you hear it disconnect to dial the 0906 number you hear it do it. The best thing to do is pull the phone line out before it connects.
BT are making a fortune out of this and are not interested in solving the problem.

Another tip would be to get BT to put a block on premium rate numbers from your phone. This should stop any inadvertant premium rate calls.

Yep .... Bit difficult to sort out just what is happening there, so awkward when you cannot see for your self.

I wonder if this happens when trying to access the 'home page' ? could have been changed without user's knowledge.

P

I've been unfair to BT; it looks like they've changed their minds. Have a look here
I think they can only block UK numbers and not international ones. It's a step in the right direction anyway.

You are safe on BB if you have disconnected your 56k modem from the telephone line. The premium rate dialler can only connect through the 56k modem, so only plug it in if the BB connection is down and you want to dial up to your 56k back-up account.

Well, you will be safe with broadband and no telephone connection. They can't bill you for that!

I would presume you have visited a website of illicit purposes (no, not necessarily adult-oriented, but anything a little bit "dodgy"). These websites often have pop-up boxes that tell you to click "YES" to continue, otherwise your download won't work or you will get scrofula or something. This is a load of knackers. Just keep on clicking "NO". After 3 or 4 goes, past the messages saying "You MUST click yes or a plague of frogs shall rain upon you", you will find that it just gives up and you can get on with your life.

NEVER install anything from a pop-up box unless you have specifically requested it (such as a Flash plug-in, or an update to some software you use).

Good luck with removing it... In that situation I think I would just back up all the data I wanted to keep, reformat my hard-drive and reinstall Windows.

As an aside, a friend of mine was at university with someone who decided to look at some adult material on the net one night. Downloaded a dialler, he didn't quite understand it would cost extra, and ended up paying £40 over a couple of nights! Oh, and there was the embarassment of explaining to his housemates how he made such expensive calls. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back