David Blunkett

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

I was listening to David Blunkett explaining his resignation on the news tonight and can't believe how he looks. I know he must be under a lot of stress at the moment, but to me the man looks ill.

I am not a labour supporter but do have a lot off sympathy if its the job that causes this.

Sponsored Links
I think its the continual lies and betrayal and back stabbing that does it not the job

Hmm... I think Blunkett was generally okay. Most people use their associations wrongly. Yes, its wrong, but I think really making mountains out of molehills. I am quite suspicious that there are others at work, perhaps over his autobiography, I mean he did slag a lot of people off. In one sense then maybe he had it coming. Certrainly didn't see it coming (duh-dum). But generally he did a competent job.

Sponsored Links
Who was it that put pressure on Blunkett ? Was it the Conservative way of trying to bring the government down or give them hassles ? Don't get me wrong, I think all the party's are as bad as each others because when thing goes wrong all you hear is sack them !

I reckon he wanted out .... The price one pays for showing off one's cleverness, is that many, viewing the Blankett case, will believe he must have orchestrated the whole situation ... Surely he was too clever to have fallen by accident ?

Given Labour's 'spin' reliance, perhaps the job was becoming too much for him, and the way out via 'the principled exit' certainly would leave the path clear for his return in another guise.
he is IMHO actually stepping aside for a period.

Be interesting to see what happens to those he spoke of, in an 'unflattering manner' in his a/biog, following a probably successful gen election.... could have been marking their cards !!
I would not be surprised if he, being very close to Tone, was not the 'due for a rest' conduit for his leader's chagrin with respect to MP's mentioned ....
P

shaggy said:
jasy said:
1 down. Blair and Brown to go!
Just out of interest, to be replaced with by ..................?
Another TonyCrony or ToneClone .. expected !!

Is it not true, any top job involving security carries the old 'honey-pot' dangers. Requires a staunch, family, married man ... which still gives no guarantee he would not be prey to female subversion but gives cause for hope.
"Hell Hath No Fury like a Woman Scorned" perhaps 'man' too !!
P

If you've got the support you're OK but he also made the mistake of giving comments to a journalist before he'd finished his career in politics. The release of the book meant that all those he'd had a go at turned against him and would no longer back him.

A bad error of judgement.

He would still be there though if his affair hadn't gone so badly wrong.

pipme said:
....any top job involving security carries the old 'honey-pot' dangers. Requires a staunch, family, married man ...
Like John Major perhaps? He really believed in that 'Back to basics' campaign, which promoted the virtue of family values. Over his years in politics his reputation was of an honourable and reliable politician and he had won a lot of respect from the British public.
At least until Edwina's diaries were published.

pipme said:
Requires a staunch, family, married man ... which still gives no guarantee he would not be prey to female subversion but gives cause for hope.
P

Why does being a staunch, family, married man give cause for hope exactly? None of these terms preclude being a to**er.

......Requires a staunch, family, married man ... which still gives no guarantee he would not be prey to female subversion but gives cause for hope.....
Unfortunately the flesh is weak ... and that is where the 'hope' can flounder. ..... David knew how many careers / reputations have foundered on the rocky shores of relationships .. unless he felt above all that too !!
Home secretary, Foreign secretary .... very security biased posts, vulnerable.
To be honest it is a total pile of old tosh ... can aiding or partialy aiding a letter through the system be worse than taking a country to war based on false information ? Beyond me.

P

Well, I guess you may not pick someone likely to be out 'hunting' of a night ... if you get my drift ... I do not think dave is a t###er at all, I still think he wanted out. This way he goes as self proclaimed straight up and down guy. History may mark him down as honest enough to walk. .. when the situation required it.
P

pipme said:
Unfortunately the flesh is weak ... and that is where the 'hope' can flounder. .....
P

Yes...exactly and the flesh and the hope are exclusive of marital status, staunch or otherwise. In anycase I do not believe DB was a to**er or that his marital status was relevant. Indeed I have knowledge or awareness of the marital statii of many of our political incumbents. Should it matter?

I think it should matter, trust etc is important.
High office - high stakes - close scrutiny - Little margin for error.
P

Sponsored Links
Back