Day Night meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was just wondering could any body shine a light on a query i have regarding the dual rate meters.

Ive recently seen a meter room for apartments and was looking at the arrangement. Obviously enough there is the live neutral going through the day night meter but ther is also 3 x 1.5 mm singles coming from meter into the storage heating timeclock.

My main question is what are all 3 singles for. I assume there is a live neutral and would the 3rd core be to switch the meter to night when the time clock kicks in (like a contactor), also the control pair going to the apartments are there to but understand that side of it.

Am i wrong about the switch wire to the meter ,i dont know much about day night meters. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The three small DI cables are live and neutral to supply the teleswitch or clock. The third is a switch wire to pull then meter into low rate. It is a switch neutral (if you connected this cable to neutral the meter would drop to low rate).

Thanks Lectrician Is there any specific reason why it is a neutral being switched

Sponsored Links
Its not switching a neutral, its pulling a terminal in the meter to 0 volts (by connecting the neutral to it) which triggers the night rate.

I guess.

There is no danger as your question implies, as there is never any load on the neutral or the terminal in the meter, it is simply a signalling system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back