Day rate for a casual labourer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am doing a refurb on a bungalow, and need to strip out old flooring, wall tiles, skirting etc.

Planned to do this myself, but a hand injury is slowing me down. Looking at advertising on a local buy/sell website for a casual labourer for a few days, cash in hand. What would be a reasonable figure to offer for a 9-4 day (Essex). I will be on site to ‘supervise’......

Would I be better going through an agency?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There are National and regional variations on the amount you should expect to pay for labour costs.
London for example will be more expensive than Glasgow.
Personally i would expect to pay around £80 for a decent 8 hr shift (Scotland central belt).

Not too sure how all this works but as his employer, would you need employee liability insurance? You could be right up **** creek if he injures himself working dangerously if you’ve not done all sorts of risk assessments etc?

Since most builders struggle to find a decent labourer, I wonder how you will get on. (n)

Sponsored Links
Not too sure how all this works but as his employer, would you need employee liability insurance? You could be right up **** creek if he injures himself working dangerously if you’ve not done all sorts of risk assessments etc?

I would be contracting them as self employed. The same as I would contract a plumber or electrician.

No holiday or sick pay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back