Please share your opinion on price/time to complete this job

DM7 Working for landlords and the like will generate a lot of work fast, which is good experience with plenty of different aspects of home improvements.
But you won't make any money! so if you feel that you have gained enough experience then move on to people who own their own houses, as they will have more pride in their homes than a landlord who just wants a cheap job/botch.

there are quite a few RGI’s here that have bought houses as a pension.

Do ALL of those want a cheap bodge job?

Don’t discount any punter, just state your terms and manner of working. If thry cannot agree, then move on.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks JK

Fireman, that's who he has been working for ! I'm not sure your in touch with the reality of that scheme.

Thanks JK

Fireman, that's who he has been working for ! I'm not sure your in touch with the reality of that scheme.

Okay, but your "RGI?" appeared directly below my mention of RGI's

You are probably correct, I don't know, and have no interest in, the ins and outs of the scheme. I assume you are implying that the rates are set by the scheme? If so, and if they are too low, then the solution is obvious. While tradesmen and others are willing to work for peanuts, there will be someone who will act as middleman to profit by employing them and charge their punters a higher rate.

The problem with working for the likes of insurance and middle men is tat you will never develop you own client base and business. What is the point of being busy working for peanuts, when you could earn the same or more in half the time?

• Thanks
Reactions: DM7
I would wait until you get paid then give them a faceful.

It's bloody disgusting what they have done and how they have treated you.

And you should tell them. Preferably when their customers are listening.

When I was self employed and extremely green, I got an emergency call out to a no supply (leccy). I dropped everything and drove there immediately, fixed the issue and charged £20. When I got the cheque 2 months later, a letter was enclosed:

Dear Sir,

I feel that the job you did for me was only worth £10, so enclosed is a cheque for that amount.

I am still fuming 26 years later. I know, I need to let it go!

• Thanks
Reactions: DM7
The last time I quoted a landlord for a new kitchen install I think I quoted around £1500 (which was cheaper than what my online research said others would have charged). He then got back to me and said he was surprised at my quote, ...as he had his last kitchen fitted for £300'ish!

I told him to stick with that guy lol.

Gave a quote today for painting a couple of rooms inc ceiling and doors, that had new plaster and skirting (so around 4 coats/mist coats, knotting/primer etc.) I quoted around £1500 for the two rooms..

He said he had already had a quote for £450... for a supposed "3-day job."

I told him to stick to that guy lol.

I've figured now to just quote a propper price in exchange for my good services. Would rather sit at home with the family than work like a headless chicken for pennies... And then when I do go to work, I get paid a decent amount for my efforts.

I remember quoting to change a light fitting. It was accepted.

I turned up and took the old fitting down.

The lady came in and told me she knew someone who could do two fittings for less money than my quote.

I put the light fitting back up and then told her I'd finished.

She went in the room and noticed I hadn't changed the fitting

I told her to use the other guy and left.

I had a fella call me on a hot Saturday afternoon. He had a leaking rad that he tried to fit. £150 to make safe and be with him in 15 minutes. He said he had someone cheaper. OK I said go with him... 2 minutes later he text me to say his wife wanted him to get ne round.

" I've got my feet up now with a bottle of wine."

I didn’t need to read past “£10/hr”, they are taking the absolute **** and I can say that without looking at your running costs.

You’re currently being paid far far less than someone stacking shelves in Tesco, £10/hr for someone self employed providing your own tools and travel is nowhere near equivalent to an employed worker being paid £10/hr

Use £27.50 hr as a starting point, they pay additional for materials and charge extra if the job is more than 1.5hrs travel away.

The job you have done could be done in 3 days and I would've charged around £1000.
£290 is a piiss take.
That's slavery rate.
I bet they're charging 5 times that to the landlord.
Any way you can get in touch with the landlord?

There are too many good tradesmen that under value themselves. In turn that makes it worst for other good trades

Rearrange these letters to see what I think.

GUM

It's all a learning curve.

I have a job tomorrow morning replacing kitchen tap valves or as sometimes Tye case replace the tap.
I said

£60 + parts up to 1st hour then £60 P/H after that split into 4 quarters (£15P/Q)

She's come back and ask do I do free quotes.

Sponsored Links
Back