Is this a decent price for a Complete Bathroom Refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone comment on whether this is a fair or decent price for a complete bathroom refurb on a house circa 1930s. This is in Havering, effectively Greater London.

I removed the tiles before the job started, which were two layers thick and after I'd finished the walls needed redoing.

Entire cost for bathroom 3m x 2.7m - £3,280.

All materials below were part of the bill except bath, sink, shower, taps, radiator and mirror which we bought beforehand.

- Plastering of four walls and ceiling skimmed
- Disconnection and removal of old bath and shower, sink and toilet.
- Removal of old box work and underlying pipes in corner
- New pipework for shower and bath, excavated into walls for wall mounted taps and shower. Pipes run to downstairs boiler
- Tile and four walls, toilet/sink stud box and bath panels. (large tiles and mosaic type)
- Tile and seal floor (large slate tiles)
- Build out timber stud frame for wall hanging sink and toilet.
- Fit wall hung toilet, moving position 3 feet. Required external soil pipe extension to drain, hole cut to outside wall for soil pipe (on top of a lean-to). Old soil pipe hole filled and plastered.
- Fit wall hung sink
- Build timber frame for bath, fit bath
- Fit shower and screen
- Run wiring and fit 4 new down lights from loft. remove old light and fill cavity
- Run wiring and fit electric light mirror
- Fit new pressure valve to boiler downstairs to increase temperature.
- Install wall hung radiator in new position and remove old radiator
- Fit toilet paper holder, towel rail, 2 x towel hooks, shelf.

Sponsored Links
Without viewing the job in person very hard to guesstimate. But the price you state for the work listed is not expensive.

Pete

Sponsored Links
You have had the work done why are you now questioning the price ??

No just asking opinion on value. This is a family friend of my other half and he will be paid.

If you had got a well known London Firm of Plumbers to do the job it would have cost at least 5 times as much,
they pride themselves on their high prices, they will only work for "High Rollers" Its a Multi million £ busines

Well I certainly don't fall into the high roller bracket. The price jumped from 2-2.5k to 2.8 to 3.2 so while it looks decent it's more than I was expecting. I won't get into other issues I've had so if it's a fair price I will just put it down to experience and not use him again.

Pete "Value is in the eye of the payer"
That's a bit evasive :D

If the price increases were explained properly, use of different materials, problems with the building and siting of materials etc appear justified and WERE ACCEPTED at the time WITHOUT QUERY, it is a bit late in the day to question the price,
Did you get a quote or estimate of the job, did it state that price may be adjusted according to work and conditions carried out ?

Looking at the pics in more detail I would say it was a very good price. Do not forget it also covers any call backs over the next 12 months.

Pete

Initially it was going to be a straight bath sink and toilet swap as a favour over a day or so. As we decided to do a refurb I expected costs. I asked for a quote several times but it was avoided. I realise this goes against every rule but we have known the guy for over 20 years so we didn't expect anything untoward. It took a week into the job to get the initial 2-2.5k with no break down.

The breakdown came at the end with the £3280 bill and was still very broad. £530 materials for example, I asked for that broken down individually.

There have been too many issues to go into but as long as the price is fair I can live with that.

It looks a good job done. One could always argue the price is a bit high, I would have thought the materials would have been a lot more than £ 500.

Looks like a tidy job on the pictures and I bet has added more than 3k to the price of the property

Westyuk1 - just get the message that you are a tight-fisted so and so. If he has done a sterling job (I can't really tell from photos) then why wouldn't you use again someone who has proved their competence to you? More fool you.

Sponsored Links
Back