DEAD MANS ROADSIDE FLOWERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think that all these flowers and other things like big photo,s and football shirts of the deceased should be displayed over briges, side of roads, trees, lamp,posts,etc.......

I think this should be done at there funaral these things can cause accidents with drivers trying to read messages as they drive by and i think its a bad impression for the kids having to see all the barevement every day when they are on there way to school.

Sponsored Links
I am in two minds about these tributes, on the plus side they do serve to remind motorists and pedestrians that accidents can happen in their locality, on the down side they just look like piles of rubbish after a few days.

Maybe a time limit should be put on how long tributes can be left for.

I have heard it said that you can cause motorists to slow down and take more care by arranging a few flowers by a dangerous junction.

I was completely against the idea of putting flowers by the side of the road until my mate died by turning his car over last December.

Its strange how you have a differnet outlook on things as soon as its relevant to you.

They do tend to look horrible (piles of rubbish) pretty quickly, but I pay enough council tax for someone to go around removing them.

Matt

Sponsored Links
They do tend to look horrible (piles of rubbish) pretty quickly, but I pay enough council tax for someone to go around removing them.

Matt

If you rolled up in your car and dumped a bunch of dead flowers etc on the roadside you should get done for littering so what’s the difference putting fresh flowers there that will be ‘litter’ in a few days.

If you can make the effort to place flowers where your friend lost his life, to signify that you remember him, then make the effort to clean up about a week later. Why should tax payers have to clean up after you. If you placed flowers on a grave in the cemetery you would go and remove the dead flowers afterwards so what’s the difference with the roadside?

If you rolled up in your car and dumped a bunch of dead flowers etc on the roadside you should get done for littering so what’s the difference putting fresh flowers there that will be ‘litter’ in a few days.

If you can make the effort to place flowers where your friend lost his life, to signify that you remember him, then make the effort to clean up about a week later. Why should tax payers have to clean up after you. If you placed flowers on a grave in the cemetery you would go and remove the dead flowers afterwards so what’s the difference with the roadside?

Not just flowers, it's the faded self printed photographs in plastic sleeves that look just as awful.

Also, why are road accident locations singled out as a reason to do this? Are other deaths less worthy of these floral tributes?

You may have a point, but

My point is that when something like that happens to someone close to you, there are about a million things that are higher up on the list than tidying up after yourself.

We placed them there on the day of the accident, and then the following weeks were taken up by funeral arrangments etc, you just dont have time to think about going to pick them back up., and to be honest I try to avoid going near the scene.

I am not an untidy or selfish person, and If i see litter on the street I pick it up.

i wish anybody who moans about things like this would have just 5 minutes of the pain that the family and friends of the dead person has had.
GET A LIFE.

you would be squealing like pigs if it was someone you love.

btw
if you are so bothered about your council tax; do some civic service and clean it up yourself..
after all you have enough time to write on a website about it so im sure you would have enough time to slip the flowers in a black bag and bin them.

i personally do not like it and i would not leave flowers by the road but if others feel the need then let them

:rolleyes:

Personally I would not put flowers and such on the roadside. I feel that when you lose a loved one your sense of loss is within you and just because flowers are on the roadside or not doesn't mean you feel more or less about them.

After all they are no longer there at the roadside, they are in a better place one would hope.

I feel it is just a modern trend for a bit of show. Sorry if this upsets anyone, but grief is personal and different for each and every one of us in the way we cope with it and not something to keep up with the jones about.

Is it really that much of a big deal?

Does society not have other more important issues to worry about? This conversation has gone a bit 'Daily Mail'

:rolleyes:

They go one further in other countries, I'm sure anyone* who has been to Greece has seen the shrines that are built by the sides of the road, with the little glass box containing photos, messages and candles etc.

*unless you were on an 18-30 holiday.

Small crosses have appeared at a number fatal RTA sites in my neck of the woods.

As for the tributes/memorials/shrines at road side - especially in Greece - doesn't make the locals drive any safer!!

In Essex we have one stretch of road where there is on average one fatality or serious motorbike accident each week.

In Essex we have one stretch of road where there is on average one fatality or serious motorbike accident each week.

I'd set up a flower stall at the end of the road, you'd make a killing (no pun intended)

Has the boss of Sainsbury`s Died :?: I see orange coloured tributes lying everywhere :eek:

Flowers (and any other commodity) are completely wasted on the dead.

If you want to make a difference, donate the equivalent value to a charity associated with the cause of death.

IE, if the person dies of cancer, a cancer charity. In this case, if the accident was due to excessive speed, donate to someone like Brake.

Would the dead motorist be happy if they thought preventing further roads deaths would result from theirs? I think so.

in Corfu they put small roadside memorials where people have been killed on the roads..
look like glass behives with a candle burning in them..

Sponsored Links
Back