Dead PC.

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my PCs is dead. Fan in the power supply and atop the processor runs but nothing on the monitor.

Monitor is OK.

Sponsored Links
DP said:
One of my PCs is dead. Fan in the power supply and atop the processor runs but nothing on the monitor.

Monitor is OK.

Tell us some more about the PC & its components.

All the PC's I've ever worked on emit 'beeps' as they boot. I bet yours did. If it still does, take note of them because that's your BIOS talking. Look in your instruction manual for BIOS error codes.

Sponsored Links
Sounds similar to a problem I had with mine recently.
Turned out my graphics card had blown, so was sending no image to the monitor.

Does your monitor plug into the motherboard, or into a graphics card?
If its a card, does it have a fan built in, and is it spinning? Or maybe try another one?

honestly i know this may sound totally irrelavant, but try reseating the ram. this may work... it works for many different issues.. one being moniter issues.

Monitor is OK.
The replies to your posting give you a lot to think about. Why not try them one at a time starting with Igorians?

A PC needs very little to boot. Power (obviously), a processor and some memory are all you need on the motherboard. Of course it helps if you can see so if you can plug the monitor straight into the motherboard do it.

Remove everything else. Unplug disk drive cables from the motherboard end and remove add-in cards, especially a modem if you have one. Modems are vulnerable to surges on phone lines and a blown one can bring down the whole PC. Do NOT remove any PSU plugs and don't take out anything that might be a voltage regulator.

Does it boot now? If you get so much as a beep that wasn't there before or if the BIOS announces its presence on the monitor, you're half way there. Now you can start putting things back one at a time, testing at each stage.

Edit: :!: :!: :!: ESD warning!! :!: :!: :!:

Many of the component inside a PC can be damaged by electrostatic discharge but you can avoid this with a few simple precautions. Work on a 'conductive' surface. This doesn't have to be metal; any poor insulator will do. Avoid plastics. When you're taking bits out always have part of your body touching the chassis. You can pass the part freely from hand to hand but, before you put it down, touch the surface with your other hand. Putting bits back in is the reverse. Touch the surface before you pick up the component then touch the chassis before you put it into the PC.

I've been doing this for years. I've never bothered with an anti-static wrist strap and I've never zapped anything. The one time to be really careful is if you have to pass a component to somebody else. Don't do it. Put it down and let them pick it up. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back