Dead RCD switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fairly experienced with general DIY, but know very little about home electrics. This morning when I unplugged my iron from an extension lead there was a 'pop' and I could smell a slight burning smell coming from the socket on the extension lead. I then discovered that it had tripped all the sockets in the house, but when I went to the fusebox the switch wouldn't turn back on. When I flicked it up I felt the resistance of the 'click', but then it popped back down again and wouldn't stay up. I pressed the trip switch thinking it may try and reset something, but now when I try flick the switch back up, there's no resistance at all, it just flicks straight back down with the weight of the spring, there's nothing trying to make it stay up.

I've had a couple searches on the internet about this and some have said to try and reset the whole fusebox, some have said that the switch itself may be broken and I need a new one, and so on. i discovered all this when after I had left the house for work.

Any thoughts? Is this likely to be a DIY job if it's just replacing the switch?

Cheers

Steve

The offending switch is below:

Sponsored Links
Not yet, I was running late for work and didn't think of it at the time, will be the first thing I do when I get home later. I just wanted to have a fallback plan in case that doesn't work when I get home. I wanted to have it fixed tonight, so wasn't sure if I should try and call an electrician now to meet me later, but i'll feel a bit of a muppet (not to mention waste a call-out fee) if it's fixed just by turning off the main switch.

Assuming turning off the main switch doesn't work, what would be my next steps to test?

Cheers

Did you un-plug the extension lead from the socket on the wall before trying to reset the RCBO

I could smell a slight burning smell coming from the socket on the extension lead.
which suggests the extension lead is the problem. It may have been damaged by over heating where the iron was plugged in.

Sponsored Links
I unplugged the extension lead, however that lead (with only the iron plugged in) was plugged into another 4-way, which is still attached to the wall . I know it's wrong to do extensions off extensions, however there is only one thing plugged into the 4-way, which is a water fountain for my cats drinking water (don't ask, it was the girlfriend who bought it), which is a tiny little motor.

It is possible that the extension blew (now unplugged), which also blew the fuse of the 4-way (still plugged in), which is stopping the RCBO being reset?

I'll unplug everything from that wall socket when I get home and see if that helps.

I hate to break the bad news but i think you will also need an electrician to fix another issue you have, look closely at the trip for 'smoke alarms' a bit of the front is missing exposing the live internal workings. This needs replacing asap and could be dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back