RCD Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

Replaced all the switches and sockets in a house today.. got to the final switch which needed changing.. single switch one way.. flicked it on and the RCD Tripped! And wouldn't reset.. luckily nobody is in the house yet.. so I've left it off. A friend said I need to test at the DB by putting the live in the earth bar.. and go back to the connecting switch as there is a earth/neutral imbalance. So I've got a lighting wire wrong somewhere!

Never tested before.. so don't know what I'm looking for.. any help?

I only have a cheap tester..

Attachments

• 20190824_134428.jpg
    20190824_134428.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20190824_113507.jpg
    20190824_113507.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190824_122210.jpg
    20190824_122210.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190824_113526.jpg
    20190824_113526.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 20190824_125129.jpg
    20190824_125129.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 20190824_122402.jpg
    20190824_122402.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Replaced all the switches and sockets in a house today.. got to the final switch which needed changing.. single switch one way.. flicked it on and the RCD Tripped! And wouldn't reset.. luckily nobody is in the house yet.. so I've left it off.
Do you mean it did not trip when you switched on all the other switches?
Or as this was the last it could be any of the others?

If that's all you have done - and you did it all correctly - then possibly a faceplate screw has penetrated a wire.

A friend said I need to test at the DB by putting the live in the earth bar.. and go back to the connecting switch as there is a earth/neutral imbalance. So I've got a lighting wire wrong somewhere!
RCDs react to a Line/Neutral imbalance because the current is finding a return path other than the Neutral.

Ha ha just the board and the last switch I replaced and my cheap tester! .. the issue is definitely with this switch..

I've never done any testing and he said I will be able to use my tester to find what's making it trip?

Sponsored Links
Have you put the old switch back and checked to see if the light off it works?

the issue is definitely with this switch..
Not necessarily. Fault could be elsewhere. Or there could be multiple faults.
Did this installation ever work properly?
Why are all of the sockets and switches being replaced?
Do the sockets work when things are plugged in such as a kettle?

Hi.. all being replaced due to the old fixtures being old fashioned, replacing just with MK White switches and sockets.

I changed all the sockets and light switches downstairs no issue.. then went up and tested all the lights and sockets before starting up there to make sure they all did and they where fine.

Changed the one in the pictures and replaced the cover and it worked fine.. went to the bedroom whilst it was still energised and just switched the one way switch on and it tripped and couldn't be reset.. the only way I have been able to reset it is to take the lighting circuits out of the equation from the board.

Sorry lads.. ‍♂️

Hi..

single switch one way.. ..

Your picture seems to shows 2 gang switch with one gang connected as 2 way

Looking at the amount of blacks, im quessing some may be neutrals and some switchlines

Your picture seems to shows 2 gang switch with one gang connected as 2 way

Looking at the amount of blacks, im quessing some may be neutrals and some switchlines

Yeah not labelled up as switched wires by previous install... one operates fitting in the bathroom and one for the landing.. which is also switched on and off by a downstairs switch..

Some of those connections at the switches look downright shoddy, so I'm not surprised the RCD is tripping.

There seems to be wires not connected to anything.

Sometimes a multiple switch can be fed by two circuits on separate RCDs. If you get two wires round the wrong way the RCD would trip.

The best thing you could do is a send a picture of EVERY switch which CLEARLY show each CABLE and each WIRE emerging from those cables, and exactly which TERMINALS they go in.

Also it would be helpful if you explain what each switch is supposed to do.

We can then advise how you can improve the wiring on all these switches and hopefully find the fault or faults in the process.

Sockets as well I see.

What a bloody mess.

and another look at the CU it's not be labelled that well either! Two circuits number 1/2/3/4 , I know they're on different RCDs but still not right.

They may not be singles, they may be insulated and sheathed.
I have seen them with coloured sheaths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back