Dealing with switches and sockets when skimming older walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you have switches and sockets that sit flush with the existing wall and assuming the skim coat is between 3-5mm thick when finished, if this is leaving the socket too far back then what is your your typical practise for rectifying this?

Also, do you handle any of this work yourself or leave it to a spark?

Sponsored Links
Just use longer screws to refit the switches and sockets after plastering. The switches and sockets don't need to be in contact with the back boxes.

longer screws. I do it myself . Don’t trust no sparky to come bodging my artwork.

longer screws. I do it myself . Don’t trust no sparky to come bodging my artwork.

I was considering packing out behind the back box with an off cut bit of wood to pull the switch forward a bit bit longer screws will probably do the job.

I’ve just noticed with the previous two plasterers I’ve had, they refuse to touch any electrics as “they’re not electricians”, neither am I but no problem dealing with really basic stuff like a light switch.

I just don’t how you can work in that trade and not have to deal with the electrics on most jobs at some point.

Sponsored Links
I was considering packing out behind the back box with an off cut bit of wood to pull the switch forward a bit bit longer screws will probably do the job.

I’ve just noticed with the previous two plasterers I’ve had, they refuse to touch any electrics as “they’re not electricians”, neither am I but no problem dealing with really basic stuff like a light switch.

I just don’t how you can work in that trade and not have to deal with the electrics on most jobs at some point.
Ive seen plasterers skimming behind rads , around switches and pullcords and even around kitchen wall units and pipe clips. unreal.
I remove any replace obstacles myself including electricals and radiators / brackets etc.

Sometimes, it depends on the quality of the electrical installation.
Decent sparkies will put a concertina fold in the T&E, that will allow the socket/switch to be eased a fair distance away from the back box, without the need to disconnect.
...it's a good idea to wrap the sockets up well in some plastic bags before attempting to plaster! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back