Dear Ban All Sheds.

H

harrisonline

Further to an earlier post a few weeks ago about moving kitchen sockets. I have stripped wallpaper off my kitchen wall and found a cemented channel. after removing the cement I found I have a juction box buried below it. ( a concealed join) This is great news for me as it may save me having my kitchen completely re-wired.

I have what appears to be 10mm Twin and Earth going to this junction box. It then goes off to feed a socket and 2 switches in my kitchen. The 2 switches control the oven and an extractor fan.

What am I allowed to run off this supply?

I would like it to power an electric oven, a dishwasher, a washing machine and also give me a double socket.

Am I right in thinking that electric hobs are what put the biggest load on the cable? I am having a gas hob!

I am not doing the work myself.

Sponsored Links
what's on the other end of the 10mm cable?
where does it run?
pictures help us loads.. so post a few if you can..

Why have you addressed this to ban?

And we need more info. What feeds this cable? Is it really 10mm²

Are you qualified to do this work? Have you notified building control?

What method are you going to run the sockets in?

Sponsored Links
safe zones? we dont need no stinking safe zones.

rip it out. its a total mess. looks like your re-doing the kitchen anyway.

safe zones? we dont need no stinking safe zones.

rip it out. its a total mess. looks like your re-doing the kitchen anyway.

The cooker is going in a completely different position.

it is 10mm.

but it is supplying 2.5mm as a ring i think.

it looks like someone has used a redundant cooker supply.

but they have not followed safe zones, and its not ideal.

is the JB sunk into the wall?? Why didnt they just use terminal blocks in the back box? Did they cut out part of the backbox to fit the jb in? :eek:

They even cut off some of the strands of 10mm to fit it into a 32A JB. :mad:

find out your paperwork for who did the work and sue them.. that's diabolical.... guy must have tied his horse up to the garden gate when he arrived..

not only did they conceal a joint, they removed any indication of where the cable runs and ran a cable diagonally from it also..
I'm surprised the people fitting the cupboards didn't drill straight through that cable....

your best bet if you intend to use that cable is to pull it back up above the cupboards and put in a small consumer unit to safely fuse down for the circuits you require..

Thanks everyone I know its a mess as it is. Does anyone fancy answering my original question?

Good idea about stripping it back above the new cupboards. I didn't think of that.

it is 10mm.

but it is supplying 2.5mm as a ring i think.

it looks like someone has used a redundant cooker supply.

but they have not followed safe zones, and its not ideal.

is the JB sunk into the wall?? Why didnt they just use terminal blocks in the back box? Did they cut out part of the backbox to fit the jb in? :eek:

They even cut off some of the strands of 10mm to fit it into a 32A JB. :mad:

Yes it is sunk into the wall inside a backbox. I dont Know? Yes they have cut some of the strands away as well.

It only supplies the one socket and 2 switches. The rest of the kitchen is on the downstaires ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back