Debris in consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've a recently (Oct 10) installed Domae CU.
A lot of work has taken place in the room in which it's situated (plaster removal). Despite my best efforts, some bits of debris have found their way inside. Mostly sitting on top of the circuit breakers.

Is this likely to be a problem?
I removed the front cover to have a look (it's back on now), and noticed that there are no covers over the live terminals on the main switch, so I'm reluctant to try and clear it - I don't want to risk touching them!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
In general consumer units get dusty and in general that does not effect the operation. But a concentration of plaster dust getting into the moving parts of the main switch, MCBs and RCDs is not a good thing. Though unlikely you can imagine an accumulation of damp plaster dust preventing or at least slowing the disconnection time of an RCD or MCB. If it were me then I would take the MCBs, RCDs and main switch out then give them a good dust off, shake out, put them back then re-certify the unit.

If the house circuits and consumer unit are well installed with proper design parameters then heat build up is not going to be a major issue but from your description this box needs some TLC.

Thanks sparkticus :)

That makes sense. The RCD appears to disconnect OK when tested with the button, and the MCBs + main switch seem to switch on/off smoothly.

I need the electricians back to reconnect the circuits after some cable re-routing, anyway, so I'll ask them to give it a brush off at the same time.

Cheers,

Andy

Just make sure that upon completion the consumer unit complies with IP4X/IPXXD on the top and IP2X/IPXXB on the sides.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure that upon completion the consumer unit complies with IP4X/IPXXD on the top and IP2X/IPXXB on the sides.

He means (in DIY terms)
there should be NO holes in the top of the consumer unit
and
only small ones allowed in the sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back