Wylex Consumer Unit - Legal to remove hinged plastic cover ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I want to pay an electrician to replace my old WW2 fuse box with a consumer unit. My problem is the restricted dimensions of my cupboard space.

My wooden cupboard is only big enough to contain the consumer unit with the see through hinged plastic cover in the up position, not with the cover in the down position.

I like the look of the Wylex consumer units but they all have a "swing down" plastic cover hinged on the front. Can I ask the electrician to remove this cover when installing the CU? This will leave the MCB's/RCD's on display and accessible at all times. Or is it illegal to install the CU minus the hinged cover?

Link to photo below

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/WYNHRS10SSLHIX.JPG

Sponsored Links
The cover will be there mostly to prevent accidental operation of the MCBs and RCDs.
Providing there's no chance of that, I can see no problem with removing the cover. (I expect one of two others may think up some issues, will see).

The main thing is to be sure that the front cover of the CU can be removed for access at a later date. I have seen too many places where a nice enclosure has been fitted over the CU which makes future electrical work impossible.

Sponsored Links
The cover will be there mostly to prevent accidental operation of the MCBs and RCDs. Providing there's no chance of that, I can see no problem with removing the cover. (I expect one of two others may think up some issues, will see).
Not me :) - I see no problem. Indeed, I'm sure we've all seen ones where the hinged cover has broken off. But....
The main thing is to be sure that the front cover of the CU can be removed for access at a later date. I have seen too many places where a nice enclosure has been fitted over the CU which makes future electrical work impossible.
Indeed so. If the hinged cover cannot even go down to the "90°" position (as in the pic the OP links to), that seems to imply that the cupboard is 'shallow' and that its front opening is narrower than the CU. If that is the case, I would have thought that working on/in the CU could be very difficult, or next-to-impossible. It sounds as if the OP really needs a bigger cupboard (assuming there is space for it).

Kind Regards, John

It it is only at one end that the lid is obstructed by the cupboard then maybe two 10 way uniits fitted one above the other would fit.

Was it mem that did a 2 row one which maybe suitable.

Or

Although expensive an all rcbo unit would cut down the width by 4 ways

I suppose it depends on the spark really I would have no problem if it's in a cupboard but you are derating the IP factor, but does that really matter after all the cupboard will off some IP protection.

Contactum units have covers that open like doors on the sides would one of their units fit?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/CP_Range_Dual_RCD/index.html

Or most Schneider units are less than 100mm deep would that allow the cover to be left in place?

I would have no problem if it's in a cupboard but you are derating the IP factor...
I would not have thought that a hinged cover which could be opened without a tool could be used to enhance the IP rating - so I would have expected that it has to be rated on the basis of the cover being open. However, as you go to say, I don't think this would be an issue, anyway - unless it's in an unexpected location, if the front is IP2x (which it will/should be, even with cover open), that should be fine.

Kind Regards, John

I would not have thought that a hinged cover which could be opened without a tool could be used to enhance the IP rating - so I would have expected that it has to be rated on the basis of the cover being open.
Kind Regards, John

I am not sure if it would be rated as IPxx with the cover open or closed but I would imagine that it is with it closed. My reason for saying such is an item such as this socket that is IP56, but could not be with the cover open. I presume all products assessed are done so on the same basis.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p97...=26799637583&gclid=CJ3K7YrZ8b0CFZShtAod13IAaA

As we both agree the op should be fine and the reduction of IP rating is purely academic but the point you make is an interesting one to consider for future works.

Pretty sure Hagar are less deep.

Thank you all for the useful guidance. You are correct, the Hager is a lot slimmer than the Wylex so that may be the best way to go. I wanted a Wylex CU because I already have some Wylex MCB's and I wanted to re-use these if possible. Not sure a Hager will "take" a Wylex MCB. I will ask the electrician.

I think they do fit, but really not a good idea.

How old are your Wylex MCBs? Are you aware of the Wylex product recall some years ago?

Would rather no swing down lid, than the 'wrong' breakers.

I am not sure if it would be rated as IPxx with the cover open or closed but I would imagine that it is with it closed. My reason for saying such is an item such as this socket that is IP56, but could not be with the cover open. I presume all products assessed are done so on the same basis. ... As we both agree the op should be fine and the reduction of IP rating is purely academic but the point you make is an interesting one to consider for future works.
Yes, and the point you make about the IP56 socket is also very valid/interesting, and somewhat undermines what I suggested!

In fact, I think you might find that (at least the documentation, if not the marking on it) your socket says that it is "IP56 when closed", or something like that - which may be the official way to get around this. As you say, it obviously could not be IP56 with the cover open.

Kind Regards, John

I wanted a Wylex CU because I already have some Wylex MCB's and I wanted to re-use these if possible. Not sure a Hager will "take" a Wylex MCB. I will ask the electrician.

The cost of a few MCBs is virtually nothing compared to the cost of a new consumer unit.
You can't fit Wylex MCBs into another manufacturer's consumer unit.

The solution is to either find a CU which will fit in the cupboard, or alter the cupboard.

Not sure a Hager will "take" a Wylex MCB. I will ask the electrician.

You would have to jemmy the busbar, and it will be a complete abortion.
Hager MCBs are about £2.75 without trade discount, so its a no-brainer..
Anyway, no self-respecting electrician would do it. I would walk away from the job.

In fact, I would walk away from the job if the customer supplied the consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back