Anyone know about WYLEX consumer units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

My brother's just bought his first flat, an ex-local authority place built in the 50s but rewired in the 80s (I'd reckon).

The current electrical system is based around a surface-mounted metal consumer unit, a Wylex WY606: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/WY606.JPG

All three(!) circuits (cooker, ring main, light) are run in buried metal conduit. There's no RCD and the MCBs are the plug-in variety that Wylex sell as an option for their basic consumer units: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/XWYB6.JPG

He needs more sockets, so we plan to add an extra ring main to supply the kitchen (easy), as well as fit an RCD (impossible with the current consumer unit).

So I'm looking for a suitable replacement with the knockouts in the same place as the original. Screwfix do a 9-way split-load model that looks ideal, and is the same size as the current one:http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/lrgimg_popup.jsp?productId=91180&imageNo=null&ts=16879

Do you think that will have the same knockouts? I've e-mailed Screwfix and Wylex, but no answers yet :(

Cheers,
Nick

Sponsored Links
PART P!!!

yo will have difficulty compying with building regulations unless you are a registered electrician.

supersparks said:
PART P!!!

yo will have difficulty compying with building regulations unless you are a registered electrician.
Thanks, Supersparks, I appreciate that:cool:

Let's just assume that I'm doing some homework to save the registered electrician some time (and some £££ for my brother) ;)

Nick.

it doesnt matter if the knockouts are in a different place. just drill the holes in the same place

Sponsored Links
Or use an adaptable, drillable galv box bushed to a new CU.

You aint gonna find a model with identical entries.

Ground floor flat?? If not, then RCD protection is questionable.

andy said:
it doesnt matter if the knockouts are in a different place. just drill the holes in the same place
Thanks Andy.

But drilling/punching a 1" diameter hole in exactly the right place in a steel enclosure is tricky, even with the right tools - especially if it overlaps with a knockout.

And the plastic ones I've looked are all too big and would not fit in the space between the conduits that enter from the top and those from the bottom.

Nick :)

Lectrician said:
Or use an adaptable, drillable galv box bushed to a new CU.
Thanks for the suggestion, that's useful.

Lectrician said:
You aint gonna find a model with identical entries.
I thought I might be able to, if I stuck to the same manufacturer and overall dimensions.

Lectrician said:
Ground floor flat?? If not, then RCD protection is questionable.
Nope, 4th floor. But aren't they worthwhile for supplying the white goods in the kitchen to reduce the risk of serious shocks, and to prevent fires from small earth-leakage currents that wouldn't take out an MCB?

Cheers,
Nick

Nickthedentist said:
But drilling/punching a 1" diameter hole in exactly the right place in a steel enclosure is tricky, even with the right tools - especially if it overlaps with a knockout.

use a 20 (or 25mm) holesaw and there will be no problems

with other knockouts though - not good.

RCD's are only required generally for equipment that could reasonably be expected to be used outdoors.

4th floor is kind of excempt - still open to interpritation, would anyone through a lead out of the window to hoover the car??

Any chance of a photo of the current CU - I may be better positioned to offer advice on the way I would tackle it!

Lectrician said:
Any chance of a photo of the current CU - I may be better positioned to offer advice on the way I would tackle it!
Yes, but it won't be for a few days as the flat's in London and I'm not.

I've just had an e-mail back from Screwfix (on a Sunday :LOL:) saying that they can't give me any more technical info on the Wylex that they stock, but that it could be returned if it's not suitable. Fair enough I suppose :confused:

Cheers,
Nick

Adam_151 said:
can have a look at the knockout positions on MK units here to see if they are suitable: http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technical/SENTRY_tech.pdf

I guess there would be similar technical nfo on the wylex websites
Cheers Adam.

I'd seen the MK PDF - but unfortunately their CUs are slightly too big for the gap.

Wylex has something similar as you suggested, but they tell you everything - except where the knockouts are :mad: http://www.electrium.co.uk/download_file.asp?Type=C&Company=8&Id=1

I reckon I'll get the identical-sized Wylex from Screwfix and return it if it won't fit.

Nick

another possibility would be to extend the ring wires out of the existing CU into a 4 way modular box mounted next to it.

in that box fit two 40A rcds for your two rings (existing and new).

have a think about RCBOs if you fit a new CU, gives you then benefit of protection but doesn't take the light out if you drop the toaster in the sink.

Nickthedentist said:
But drilling/punching a 1" diameter hole in exactly the right place in a steel enclosure is tricky, even with the right tools

Shouldn't be a problem for a dentist!!!

Seriously, if the conduit provides the cpc too, the connections between tube and new CU have to be ultra-sound, IYKWIM!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back