Wylex New Style Metal Consumer Units.

K

kai

This is a close up picture of the new Wylex "Amendment 3" Consumer Unit, showing the Twin RCD's and their Neutral bars. It is made up of the contents of Two boards, 1 Plastic and 1 Metal.

You may notice that I have taken out the Half Din Rail supplied with this board, and inserted another Wylex Full Din Rail taken from another Wylex plastic board of the same modular width.

It was originally a metal 14 way switch-only board, but I also bought another Wylex dual RCD plastic board at half-price, and inserted those RCD's and Din Rail and Neutral bars into this unit, for a cheaper all metal board. The new boards were supplied with their neutrals in a bag, so I just clipped them into the metal board, and the resultant extra Main Switch from the plastic board remains spare.

Sponsored Links
Stuffing a HI busbar in the bottom of that main switch will be a pig!

Sponsored Links
Yup.

The out-of-the box one isn't perfect where ringed:

screenshot_816.jpg

but you'd have to be pretty picky to say it wasn't good enough.

But this is a bit tatty:

screenshot_817.jpg

I should have added a ;) to what I said, really, as I'm sure Kai just quickly banged it together to show the idea.

I am curious, Kai, about what's going on with the silicone sealant at the ends of the rail.

Again - I know it's how the maker ships it, but does anyone else prefer to see tri-rated cables like those with ferrules?

The ends of the conductors are compacted (cold welded) into a flat shape and the sheathing is not tight.

It is difficult to do other than is shown in the pictures without alteration.

Again - I know it's how the maker ships it, but does anyone else prefer to see tri-rated cables like those with ferrules?

Yes if they used the insulated double ferrules it would cover all that exposed copper, but I suppose it would get in the way if a busbar was needed there.

Unfortunately this is the wylex method.

They weld the ends to shape.

The lack of insulation helps form a beld radius otherwise the cables get pulled out!

No wonder we now have metal cu's!

I took a look at the British General CU in B&Q, and it too has exactly the same method of connection at the bottom of their Main Switch!

Does anyone know when the Din-Rail format of consumer unit was introduced?
It is very strange that, whilst they all agreed on a common Din-Rail format standard, they failed to reach agreement regarding the connection method of the Busbar and Breaker in their units!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back