Wylex New Style Metal Consumer Units.

That Pic-N-Mic MK Board has an interesting story behind it. It was picked up as an empty shell for a fiver in B&Q's clearance bin for end of line items. The contents are from a Bargain Basement Wickes fully populated plastic Wylex board, bought only because it worked out much cheaper than buying a single spare 80amp RCD plus three spare breakers for reserves.

I placed all the contents onto the din-rail of the spare MK board I had lying around, and mounted it up on the wall, high up, to protect it from knocks, bumps and spills etc.

Someone had told me that I could use the full din-rail in the new empty Wylex board, to replace the flimsy half-din-rail in my house Wylex board, which I duly did - it was an easy job, as I just switched off at the separate isolator in the tails, and carefully removed the old half rail from behind the breakers, swinging them forward, and slid the new full-din-rail into its place, reusing the two large machine screws to secure the new rail into the original consumer unit base. I then clipped the breakers back onto the new full-din-rail for a nice and secure fit, replaced all covers, and turned the separate mains isolator back on afterwards. It took fifteen minutes at the most to perform the din-rail swapover.

Sponsored Links
That Pic-N-Mic MK Board has an interesting story behind it. It was picked up as an empty shell for a fiver in B&Q's clearance bin for end of line items. The contents are from a Bargain Basement Wickes fully populated plastic Wylex board, bought only because it worked out much cheaper than buying a single spare 80amp RCD plus three spare breakers for reserves.

I placed all the contents onto the din-rail of the spare MK board I had lying around, and mounted it up on the wall, high up, to protect it from knocks, bumps and spills etc.

Someone had told me that I could use the full din-rail in the new empty Wylex board, to replace the flimsy half-din-rail in my house Wylex board, which I duly did - it was an easy job, as I just switched off at the separate isolator in the tails, and carefully removed the old half rail from behind the breakers, swinging them forward, and slid the new full-din-rail into its place, reusing the two large machine screws to secure the new rail into the original consumer unit base. I then clipped the breakers back onto the new full-din-rail for a nice and secure fit, replaced all covers, and turned the separate mains isolator back on afterwards. It took fifteen minutes at the most to perform the din-rail swapover.

Sponsored Links
Nope actually, it all runs smoothly now. I cheated a bit as NOT one MCB or busbar connection needed to be disturbed at all - the whole bank of breakers just swung forwards to allow the old half din-rail swap over, and clipped straight back onto the new din rail. The old half din-rail literally just had the row of breakers floating on it, with the din-clips hanging in thin air!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back