Deburr after using a pipe slice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any need to de-burr a pipe after using a pipe slice?

I want to add some isolator valves, but I don’t want any swarf in the pipe after de-burring.

Sponsored Links
1. Best practice is to deburr. Something like the Monument Tools MON365F, or if only one or two to do, a half round file if you already own one.
2. Idea is to stop bits of e.g. cloth getting caught on a burr and a bigger obstruction building up. Unlikely to occur in a central heating system.
3. The pipe slice won't leave swarf, but can leave sharp edges.
4. The deburring action may leave small swarf particles. No usually a problem.

I'm adding a couple of isolators under my kitchen sink, so I don't want to get any swarf in the cold water supply.

would it be better just to cut it with the slice and leave it?

Sponsored Links
1. With mains water, as soon as you turn on the tap, any small swarf will be washed out.
2. If the hot is from a combi or unvented cylinder, same as 1. above. If fed from vented hot water cylinder on 1st floor, ground floor should be washed out as 1.. If on same floor, it will probably just sit there.
3. If you are really worried about swarf, cut with pipe slice and don't deburr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back