Decent drill advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to get a good quality new drill to replace the useless cheap ones Ive been using the last couple of years.

Going to be using it for drilling into wood and brick. Any ideas of decent makes and models? Ive had bad experience with the Bosch drill I have I think they are going downhill. What about Makita?

CHeers.

Sponsored Links
Cordless if its reliable and powerful enough but probably corded as Ive had bad experience with a Bosch cordless, power and battery performance was poor so Im wary of cordless.

If corded wanting something that can drill wood and masonry, maybe the
Makita HP1631K/2 710W Percussion Drill.

Not SDS though.

Sponsored Links
Makita SDS drills are a mainstay of the tool hire industry, not for just any old reson.

Cheers

im surprised you had a bad experience with bosch,my last sds lasted around 12 years or so.
im currently running a replacement thats now 6 years old,and my cordless is about 3 years old but ive added a impact to it aswell.infact most of my kit is bosch as it has stood the test of everything ive thrown at them and some.

Yep Green Bosch.

If corded wanting something that can drill wood and masonry, maybe the
Makita HP1631K/2 710W Percussion Drill.

Not SDS though.

Looks good. I think this is more up my street then the SDS one which will probably be too heavy as its an all purpose drill Im after for working in the kitchen, garage and loft.

Ill need it for putting up shelving and wall fittings(deep in the wall due to the crumbly earth bricks) then building a new logshed and sheepshed.

Anybody have any experience with DeWalt?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dw...qyfptwbhNpcTZyH2D6BG4Mz6YtWTvSlbX!-1884216143

Ive had a good experience with Makita though, rented a small corded jackhammer to destroy some concrete and was impressed by its rugged chunky feel and it worked well in sub zero conditions.

My father-in-law had a Makita SDS that you could change the head to a normal chuck if needed. It was a brilliant drill chewed straight through brick like butter. I will try and find the model number but its probably been replaced by something now. There also seem to be quite a few offers about for Makita drills.

We also send our engineers out on site with Makita cordless lithium drills (You might need something beefier as they are electronic engineers installing small systems). Not had any problems so far.

I, and others prefer the flexibility of cordless drills. My DeWalt 18v li-ion is fantastic as is the impact driver i got with it, costing £300 for the pair.
However if you are sure that you wouldn't need a cordless then corded will save you a small fortune.
If you're gonna buy Bosch, buy the blue professional range, not the green diy crap, which isn't as good as it used to be imho.

Without much experience with all the makes of corded drills, i can't imagine you'll go far wrong with the mainstays like Makita, DeWalt, Bosch Pro, even Hitachi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back