Decent plunge router advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to attempt building some bookcases and shelving soon and I think a router will be very useful for this.
From my research a plunge router gives the best flexability but they also seem quite expensive?

Could anyone suggest to me some good makes and models that would be around the 100 quid mark or is that price unrealistic?

Sponsored Links
heeedlllooo gizmo1990

you will be hard pressed to find a router tha doesnt plunge ;)

assuming your grooving and moulding edges you can get the ryobi 1150 for around £60 this will also do light work with 1/2 inch cutters but realy a 1/4 inch machine [it dosnt mention 1/2" in the blurb but it is a half inch machine]

heres a links to all 3 ryobi routers
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Routers Ryobi&product=36494

Thanks very much for your reply big-all.

Looking at the router on that site, many come in 240v and 110v versions. Why would this be the case? I only ask because I might take this router overseas (europe) so I'm wondering whether a 110v version would be the one to go for?

110v versions will require you to buy a transformer as they dont have a normal UK plug, but one of those round style ones? if you know what i mean

Sponsored Links
they arnt duel voltage they are one or the other

the reason you have 110v is because its a requirement on building sites to have 110v or battery stuff

The standard European electricity supply is 220-240 volts at 50Hz. In the USA it's 100-127 volts at 60Hz; that may have been the part of the world you were thinking of.

Hi, I managed to pick up a brand new Makita 1/2" router on E-bay for £100, real bargain, might be worth a try...Al.

Hi, 1/2" & 1/4" is the collet size which takes the router tool bits, If you get a decent 1/2" router you should get a 1/4" collet as well so that you can use both size tool bits, depending on what size and depth of cuts you need to do will determine the tool bit diameter. You can be quite limited if you have a 1/4" machine...Al.

it also refers to the size off shank the cutters have

i strongly recomend against getting a big 1/2" router as your first router

you need to build your confidence with a lighter router

i would start with say a 800w ish router then later if nessesry go for a 16/1800 and above
if you are seriouse about routering you will need 2 or 3 routers eventualy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back