Decent Quality Sheds

in reply to the question regarding waltons sheds....thyey are about as cheaqp and nasty as you can get

Sponsored Links
Thanks again bigall, that is good information to me, cheers mate

Thermo said:
in reply to the question regarding waltons sheds....thyey are about as cheaqp and nasty as you can get

Well im glad I posted now, didn't want to spend all that money and find out later there crap, so thanks for posting too.

its going to be fun building this, hope everything turns out ok, try and get some pictures up when built.

thank you all

PS: About the base...

I was thinking to dig 2" down, cover with WPM and fill hole with cement. (It will be flat inline with my patio then)

And when dry, I start building the shed base, raise it up off ground with 2 bricks, this is OK to do yes?

:?:

morg said:

I was thinking to dig 2" down, cover with WPM and fill hole with cement. (It will be flat inline with my patio then)

And when dry, I start building the shed base, raise it up off ground with 2 bricks, this is OK to do yes?

my set up 12" slabs beded in dry sand cement mix on top of consolidated soil brick on top coverd with 2 layers of felt set out on a 2ft centres with 3x2" treated bearers traveling from the doorway back so the outside 2 support the long walls and the roof so need thicker sand and cement
the floor is 18mm ext ply

setting out the joists this way allows storage underneath between between them ;) :D

Sponsored Links
morg said:

That's how mine is, concrete base, 2 course low brick wall and the shed built up from that. Means I have a cold concrete floor but a couple of thick rubber matts takes care of that.

Cheers bigall, blimey quite a base you have there! I don't think I will be able to afford that :LOL:

I'm on a budget, so I'm still thinking about the best way.

Deluks, is that a brick wall all the way around shed base or just on 2 sides? (what about ventilation underneath shed?)

If I dig down 2 inches, fill this with concrete and put shed on 3x2 treated bearers (with wpm between bricks+wood) will this be sound enough to keep damp and rot away?

Can you please advice cheapest possible way? (and effective), keep in mind the base is going to be 12ft 6" x 7ft 6"

thank you

Would this work ok?

advice_base_layout.jpg

Worked it out: I need 350ft/100 Metres of 47 x 75mm treated softwood (Pressure treated).

For the 7ft x 12ft x 6ft Frame (including roof frame) will cost £165.36p from wickes ;) Not bad for the timber alone.

I hope my caculations were right!

(my rough sketch, prototype)

:LOL:

sketch45y76547.jpg

hi mate

why dont you go for one of these from here:

http://www.comptonbuildings.co.uk/D...EZDlhZjU2ZGEzZTFkYmY2ODA4ZjkxNWNlYmRmNzM1MDE=

i got one about 2 years ago 16ft by 12ft....they come in sections and are bolted together...choice of finishings..i choose pebble dashed...most importantly they come with 10 years gaurantee....you can have any size door you like....i paid £2000...well worth it.....they also come and erect it for you...you will need a solid base though..

morg said:
Worked it out: I need 350ft/100 Metres of 47 x 75mm treated softwood (Pressure treated).

For the 7ft x 12ft x 6ft Frame (including roof frame) will cost £165.36p from wickes ;) Not bad for the timber alone.

I hope my caculations were right!

(my rough sketch, prototype)

:LOL:

sketch45y76547.jpg

110m of 3x2 [£120]was the total for the floor the walls and the roof for my shed so your calcs sound fine

i also got 260m of 5" txg shiplap pressure treated (£242}

i only used slabs because the where lying around but the base was around £20 for the sand and cement so not expensive

cool, thanks for the info mate.:cool: Good price as well :) (where did you get it from)?

wickes don't deliver :cry: I would have to cut those 12 footers in half to fit in the car, would prefer them delivered as cutting them down would weaken the structre?.

I'm wondering whether trademate or somewhere would deliver them, might be cheaper than wickes too.

goofy gorilla thanks for the link, however im only planning on spending 500-600 and by the look of things, you gotta pay out a good amount for a quality prefabricated one, but if I build it myself it will be half the cost (and thicker wood used).

cheers

If concreting you will need more than 2", I'd go with minimum 3", better 4".
You will need 4-6" of hardcore under that too. With mine, the concrete floor is also the shed floor. The brick wall is straight onto the conc base, so all the timber is raised up by at least 6" (apart from door)
BA's method is easier and cheaper, but you still have to buy floor joists, bearers and flooring so it's swings n roundabouts. My conc base was already there so I just built up from that using some old bricks I had lying about.

Wickes is defo not the cheapest place for timber, try any builders merchants or timber suppliers, shop around as prices can vary greatly.

we always do a conceret base under sheds minimum of 100mm thick. gives a decent level base to start from.

Heed the advice about wickes. If you want low grade timber thats soaking wet, and bowed then yes its cheap and the place to go. Go to a decent timber merchants with a cutting list of the timber and see what they will price up for you. Might be a bit more expensive, but less waste and it will be better quality.

Thanks for the advice, I only wanted it 4" above ground if possible. I'd have to dig 3" down, which would be hard work over a 7x12 space (ground is very solid and rocky), plus wouldn't it be quite expensive this way?

How about if I dig 6" holes, for a foundation block (17 x 10 x 11"). Fill hole with concrete, then drop the block in?

It would be sticking out 3-4" above ground, would this be ok?
I thought as long as the shed is base is above ground a few inches, this should stop all moisture and dampness?

thanks

if youve gopt solid ground then just do a framework of 4 x 2 to the base size and fill with concrete. no digging, job done. will be more than man enough for a shed base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back