Deck footings direct on slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - realise I’ve been posting a bit about a deck I’m about to start (have been clearing all weekend) and really appreciate all the help so far. Massively helpful community. When ripping up old deck I found way more concrete underneath than I expected, and there’s a huge slab I’m able to use for some footings to save me digging. So I’m wondering whats the recommended method is for putting posts on the slab to stop rot. One option is to drill down into the slab and resin in post brackets like these - but im wondering if that’s overkill for an existing slab and if you could just put them on a plastic shim to avoid contact with wet concrete and then just an angle bracket to avoid movement? Or another method? Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
You are correct in wanting to keep the posts off the floor and away from ponding water. Just Google decking post bracket and there are loads of options. Anything that keeps the post off the ground and is galvanised or painted will be fine. The plastic shims will eventually slip from underneath the posts.

Resin sounds unnecessary how about bedding bricks or equivalent on some mortar?
16510751719312733936529916527503.jpg
16510751855953522381297514945198.jpg

Just staple some DPC to the underside of the timber, don't wrap it though.

Tanalised timber (green) can be immersed in water for long periods with no problems. Other treatments (typically brown) are not so resistant.

Sponsored Links
This is my decking put down 13 years ago straight onto slabs still standing and no rot, as long as its constantly not standing in water or moist soil it will survive
IMGP1146.JPG

Free standing on a piece of lead sheet. Trim the lead to the exact size of the post. ( the photo was taken before the trimming was finished )

The lead seals the end grain of the timber. This was done 40 years ago and the timber which was Tanalised and coated with Sadolin Classis is still in good condition
upload_2022-4-27_21-34-29.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back