Deck/veranda project.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy doo.

Having spent a year now, bashing away at the innards of our house, me and the mrs me are turning our attentions to the garden. One project we have in mind for the less-cacky weather time is to create a raised deck/veranda area around the front and side of the house.

The house is on a slight slope, with the ground floor level being approx 500mm higher than the outside ground level. We were hoping to run a 2000mm wide deck out from the house at internal floor level, incorporating a set of steps that project out over the existing concrete ones.

My initial plans were to fix a wall plate to the external wall of the house to carry the joists and to sink posts in the ground as necessary. I'm pretty confident as to the method of constructing the rest of the deck (thanks, largely, to this site! :D ). The house is a 1930's semi - bricks/walls are in sound condition as far as I can tell - no crumbling, if this helps.

Reet. Questions:

1: Is it ok to fix the wall plate to the house or would it be better to just use posts for all the load bearing support?

2:If I did use a wall plate, would I need any damp-proofing between it and the wall (the wall plate would be a couple of brick courses above the DPC)?

3: what method of fixing would I need to use to attach the wall plate, if I did go down that route?

4: Are there any BC/BRg's issues that I would need to resolve before starting?

Thanks for your time/help! :D

WC

Sponsored Links
1: fix to the wall, much stronger and easier. do posts near teh wall and you may hit the footings anyway

2: you can use shims to leave a small gap between the plate and teh wall, but not necessary

3: thru bolts or rawl bolts we normally do them every 1m

4:no

Many thanks for that, Mr Thermo!

One other thing that's just occurred to me:

The furthest edge of the deck would be approx 90-100cm off the ground. Are there any reg's that specify if I would have to have a balustrade on this edge? I will make one anyway, just wondering if there is a set height for it as with internal stairs/landings.

Would I be right in assuming 90cm to be an adequate handrail height?

Also:

Never used thru/rawl bolts before. What size should I be looking to use for the wall plate?

Thanks for your time. :D

WC

its normally a 900mm rail for any drop over 600mm, but doesnt apply to decking as doesnt come under the regs, but we always put one on at that height unless client signs off that they dont want one.

We usually use 10mm x 120mm at every 1m providing you get a decent fixing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back