Decking and Rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are considering laying decking in our garden, but have been advised by our conservatory builder that decking attracts rats.

Is this likely? I can imagine that food from bbqs dropped in between planks may attract them, but I wouldn't expect there to be many gaps in between.

Sponsored Links
its not the bits between its the gap under.

nothing a rat trap cant fix though

If you have a bird table, the rats will quickly learn that you are putting out rat food for them, though they may be annoyed that birds try to steal some of it.

This will encourage them to live near your rat food distribution centre.

If you also provide a spacious wooden rat house with entrance ways at ground level they will be very comfortable under there. You will have to try to block the gaps at ground level to stop them getting in. Expanded metal will do it, as the timbers will expand, contract and warp as the weather changes.

I'm sorry but I find this not to be true.
I live in the New Forest close to the river Avon.
I built a large deck some years ago and have NEVER seen a rat near it or any 'ratty' evidence near it.
Rats are common around these parts but the deck has done nothing to attract them here.

Build your deck and enjoy it.

Sponsored Links
Piffle. Ive never had a customer complaining that they get rats under their deck. As Johnd says its whtas in the garden food wise that attracts them not what there is to house them.

Your conservatory builder doesnt do patios as well by any chance does he? :LOL:

I dont know about decking attracting rats, but I can absolutly assure you that if you have rats, then invest in one of those sonic rat and pest control things, you wont see a rat again.
They are marvellous, we had had an outbreak, cause a neighbour was keeping rice flour and stuff in a leanto, and it attracted the rats, and of course they were getting into other peoples gardens, and even some homes, it was a nightmare, the council was namby pambing around and to be honest doing s*d all about it, people had put down the rat poison, it helped, but they were still coming, and now with these sonic things in place, they have gone, and have been for some months. :D

If you are still concerned and want to do "something" a friend of mine was recommended putting barbed wire under the decking.

Me, well I just used all the bricks and rubble that were left over from demolishing the patio and wall, then packed them around the entire inside edge of the decking. At least if anything starts to "burrow" then they'll be quickly put off.

Enjoy the decking, don't worry about the crumbs! :D

Also if you put the weed membrane over the top of the frame before the boards are laid it stops anything falling through as well as growing up!

Thermo said:
Also if you put the weed membrane over the top of the frame before the boards are laid it stops anything falling through as well as growing up!

would that also not mean that any crumbs just fill the gaps since they cant fall through

Thanks for the feedback. Funnily enough, the conservatory builder does also do patios!

It is going to be low-leel type decking as opposed to being on posts, so I can certainly ensure that gaps round the edge are kept to a minimum.

The idea of the additional membrane is good, so long as it lets water through, surely?

breezer said:
would that also not mean that any crumbs just fill the gaps since they cant fall through

the rats will clear up the crumbs for you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back