Decking care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have some decking installed by the previous owner. IT is probably about 10 years old. I do not think it has ever had any treatment since installing.
It is generally in good condition. It does not get too much direct sun, and as it is in a shady corner. As such it can be a little slippy in the wet.

Does it need re-preserving? or are the decking products just decorative . Any advice on products, or preparation gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If its timber I definitely would. If there is any discoloration you can start with a deck cleaner and then apply your treatment.

Its more about extending life. If it looked in horrible shape then it would be too late (or at least not as effective).

yep, give it a good clean, then use a decking OIL, not a stain of any kind. Just make sure its clean and dry first.

Yep can confirm Decking Oil is the way to go .

Did mine with Stain when new about three yrs ago .It keeps peeling and looks crap .Just scraped off most of the stain stuff,which was loose and then used Oil on it .It looks better now and will only need going over quickly each year to keep it tip top .!!

Oil seems to soak in ,whereas Stain sits on top and then peels like paint .

Sponsored Links
i like people who put stain on their deck. it means people like me and wabbit poo get paid to take it up and lay new stuff again when they want to change the colour, or realise how silly they were to use it ih the first place. In other words OIL IT! ;)

my dad made the mistake of staining his deck, he got fed up with all the peeling and got the pressure washer on it, that made light work of getting the stain off, now he has natural pine oil on it and looks way better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back