Decking flush to bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello wise forum
You have helped me lots up till this point so hopefully this will continue.
I’ve been tasked with laying composite decking in our garden, which will be flush up to our bi-fold doors.
The Mrs wants the decking boards to sit on top of the door sill.

Is this possible? Do I need any particular parts or is it simply a case of butting the boards up on top?

Thank you in advance

James

Sponsored Links
You do have to consider where the damp proof course lies in your main walls, you may need to make other changes to make that possible. Not knowing what the walls are like or the lie of the garden I cannot provide anything but a general consideration.

Thanks Mike
DPC sits under the door sill
Can boards lay directly on top? Is that how it’s done?

I wouldn't use the sill as a baring point but would make suer the boards do not touch the sill - is it plastic sill. As for any DPC problems I would of thought there will be dno issues a its decking that has a gap under and gaps between planks - just keep it a couple of cm away from the wall.

Sponsored Links
So you’d butt the boards up against the sill (side by side) rather than trying to go on top?

So you’d butt the boards up against the sill (side by side) rather than trying to go on top?
No I would go over the top rather than on top so make sure that whatever support you are using is high enough so the boards do not touch the sill. if the support is close to the sill then the boards will only be "floating" the sill width so should be ok. I am assuming you are going 90 degree to the sill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back