Decking frame and measuring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just about to start a decking frame after prepping the groundwork but I'm just struggling with the measurement side of things. The frame will be sitting on relaid patio flags, so the measurement of a sample frame area is:

2700mm x 450mm

The decking lengths I've been looking at are 120mm x 25mm and will be getting laid left-right. So, in short I have to fit 120mm widths into the 450mm area with seating space in between each decking length.

I've tried lengths with gaps of 3mm/4mm and 5mm but there's always a small lip left and I'm unsure how to finish it - any tips/advice woudl eb appreciated.....hope I've explained it OK. I'm loathe to start without having a clear plan - do I need to adjust the frame dimensions or offset the deckign with larger, irregular gaps?

|-----------------------------

450mm is the length of the left hand side. Each plank (--------------) is 120mm wide.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry but your post makes little sense. i assume you have tried to simplify it in order to make it easier to understand but it has done the reverse.

Obviously your deck is not 450mm wide so give us the larger picture and we can maybe advise.

1. Overall deck size
2. Joist spacing
3. length of decking boards

Hi

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion. I haven't actually started the framework yet, I'm ordering the wood tomorrow for Thursday delivery.

Basically here is the entire area and I've split it as best as I think, the small section 3150mm x 450mm is the one that is giving me a headache. It's a small area underneath the window and has electrics and some piperowkr running there so I'm aiming to box it in using decking if that makes sense and stick some small LED's in.

deckfloor.jpg

ah ok.

In that case you will either have to increase or decrease the 450 to suit board width or if it can't move from 450 the tidyest way to do it is an equal cut on both sides so you have 2 full boards in the middle and then 2 95mmish boards on the outsides.

a 3mm gap is plenty for hardwood.

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate. Sorry for the late reply but the advice was well heeded :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back