Yet another decking question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm building a deck that is partly over an area of asphalt type concrete and I am going to partly rest the frame upon this concrete.

The gap between the bottom of the frame and the concrete is about 2-4 cm. My idea is to dab morter along the length of the frame and let the frame rest on these dabs. My other idea was to fix a piece of DPM around the part of the frame that touches the morter.

The other end of the frame is fixed to a wall.

Do you think this will this be OK? Thoughts and ideas welcome. :D

Sponsored Links
just use legs down from the frame bearing onto the concrete.

Yes as Thermo said, use legs, 4cm isnt really enough for the mortar as it could break up overtime with people walking overt the decking area and using DPM will do nothing apart from hold water under the joist thus causing the joist to rot.

Have you thought about putting down 4 to 5 cm of gravel over the area then resting your joists on this? You could contain it with a 4-5cm tanalised wooden framework which would be hidden by the decking framework?!

With respect, I would advise NOT to use gravel to support anything. It has no supportive properties. Use legs.

Sponsored Links
Won't the legs just rot if they're in contact with the concrete, even if it's treated wood and painted with perserve?

it will take a very very long time. we install them a lot using this method and never have a problem with it. Do NOT lay it on gravel, it wont support it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back