Decking full width of garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have decided to deck the full width of the end of my small garden so that I can use it for seating and a BBQ area, and would be grateful if you could answer a few questions. The decking will be running parallel to the house, using 47mm x 150mm joists and 150mm boards (machined to 28mm x 140mm).

1. The width is 4.45m from fence post to fence post but the standard lengths of timber at the local yard is 4.2m. Am I best making the decking 4.2m cost-wise and then doing something else with the gap? Suggestions for use of the gap are welcome. There will be a gap even if I built it 4.45m across because of the fence posts protruding further than the fence.

2. As I won't be able to get enough space to drill screws directly into the joists from the outside of the frame a lot of threads here suggest skew screwing. Is this relatively easy for a newbie? It looks like I could completely miss or not screw the nail far enough into the frame if I mis position the screw. Are mini joist hangers a good alternative? Any alternatives are also welcomed.

3. Do these screws/nails sound right for the job? 100mm screws for frame. 60mm Pozidriv Decking Screw for the boards. 100mm nails for the noggins (staggered). Any recommendations for the skew screws if I go for that option?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What are you putting the joists onto? As they need to be raised off the ground. You could place paving onto the grass and level from there.

You could centre the 4.2 decking then fill the gap at each end with slate chippings, don't use pea shingle - cats love it. See below:

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...late/Blue-Decorative-Slate-Large-Bag-9273646?

Also you might want to have the decking going long ways as you will need to have a fall to remove the rain water.

Andy

if you have ever tried sweeping decking, you will resolve to have the fall, and the grooves, running in the direction that you can sweep it off the end. Accumulated leaves, fluff and rubbish will hold damp and will shorten the life of the finish.

Remember to leave access to put rat poison under. Rats love decking. You can fence it off with chicken wire to make it slightly more difficult for them to get in, but they will.

What are you putting the joists onto? As they need to be raised off the ground. You could place paving onto the grass and level from there.
The decking will be as low to the ground as possible. So I will build the frame on nine 60x60cm concrete paving slabs and will check for the level first. The garden currently naturally slopes right to left so I was planning on leaving a slight gradient for water run off.

It sounds like you recommend having the boards run away from the house for water run off? This would create additional wastage and cost.

You could centre the 4.2 decking then fill the gap at each end with slate chippings, don't use pea shingle - cats love it.
Thanks for the suggestion. How would you recommend I hold them in place? Use a front fascia of 4.4m on the decking rather than 4.2m? Do you need anything like a plastic garden border along the sides of the fence and decking?

Sponsored Links
Also lay a weed fabric under the paving to stop any weeds growing through.

If the boards are going from left to right, you will have a joist going front to back, this will stop the stones from going anywhere.

Andy

Remember to leave access to put rat poison under. Rats love decking. You can fence it off with chicken wire to make it slightly more difficult for them to get in, but they will.
I didn't think of that! Thanks.

If the boards are going from left to right, you will have a joist going front to back, this will stop the stones from going anywhere.
So the plan was for the 4.2m x 3m frame built in the middle, right at the back. Are you suggesting I extend the sides of the frame to the fence posts to contain the stones? Sorry, I might be misunderstanding. The image below might clear it up. I only planned it this way because the timber yard cuts to 4.2m and I didn't want to mess around with making sure it fitted perfectly.

kBmL6A3.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back