Decking: how to bed concrete slabs that the frame rests on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just about to deck my small concrete garden and have lots of paving slabs to lay out to rest the decking frame on.

Numerous websites tell me to bed these slabs down with either sand or mortar, however none say which is best/ easiest/ least likely to course future problems etc so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you have concrete as a base and it is solid why do you need slabs??

Maybe to bring the levels up? I'd do it anyway to keep the timber off the floor. There's no right or wrong way, but some weak mortar can be used to raise the levels if the slabs aren't all level. Once the decks done they aren't going anywhere anyway.
Sand alone would be alright under a lawn but might get washed away by heavy rain if on a patio.

Just use some 4" posts down to the concrete. Plenty of guidance in other posts on here.

Sponsored Links
cheers for that. The slabs are to keep the wood off the ground and to make it easier to get level. Plus I had a load of spare ones I ripped up so thought I might as well use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back