Decking on gravel/shingle??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to construct a simple deck for the garden (@2.4m*7.2m, in 3x modular pieces). There is already a dpm on the area I want to cover, it is flat, and covered with decorative gravel/shingle.

To save a monster hoard job, can the decking be constructed on top of the gravel. Drainage is good and earth beneath is very firm?

Sponsored Links
Presuming that you are constructing the decking on concreted in pillars, then yes this is actually the ideal situation. The membrane will ensure that no weeds grow through and the gravel will ensure that there is limited splash of dirt from rain dripping off the timbers.

Andrew

Thanks guys.
I was going to stand on buried breeze block pillars as suggested. Missus has other ideas in terms of estimated completion time.

Aside from obvious timber longevity, would there be any implications with standing straight onto shingle (approx 2 inches on a level compacted earth base). I am no structural engineer, but the weight of the 3 * 2.4m frames bolted together add weight of the boards, would not have thought there was much shift.

Any comments or known disaster stories welcome.

Sponsored Links
Tommy walsh usually stands them on breeze blocks, apart from thta as you said weight of it it aint going nowhere.

you may also wish to consider putting in deccking lights, easier to do as you build it as opposed to after

Thanks Breezer - i would rather face a shifting deck than the wrath of the other half post BBQ cancellation.

You could just put it on the shingle and do the posts after. Although it would not take more than half a day to concrete in some posts or some blocks.

If the deck pieces come ready made then not more than a day for the job in total.

If you are having a barbie and have lots of people on the deck if it is just on 2'' of shingle it is likely to start to sag in places because it does not really matter how compact the level below that is. It is the shingle layer which counts.

If the other half is going to mone about how long it takes, get her roped into it, works with me ;)

Thanks again guys - I decided to be risk-adverse and stand on set-in blocks. What is the best stuff to set the blocks into - slab-fix to set level, then post-crete around the block up to ground level.

ucsman said:
Thanks again guys - I decided to be risk-adverse and stand on set-in blocks. What is the best stuff to set the blocks into - slab-fix to set level, then post-crete around the block up to ground level.

Anyone? - is it best to set on bed of standard mortar mix and backfill to concrete into hole?

Cheers

I would make the hole about the size of the block or pillar you intend to use at each point and make it about 12'' deep and fill with concrete or use a bag of postcrete, much easier and quicker to dry. Also no need for mixing.

Then build your blocks on top of that to the desired height.

Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back