Decking planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i am planning on constructing some decking in my garden for the summer but am looking for a couple of pointers.

Is going to be a very simple flat deck all just above the exsisting floor height.

Is it okay to construct a frame from 4 x 2 / 6 x 2 and lay this directly ontop of concrete in some areas, and where the grass is being removed, set 600x600cm flags set in concrete and lay onto that.

A friend of mine said that i should be ok, that as to the weight of the deck it wont move and wont need posts putting into the ground, and that securing to the concrete/slabs will be ok? is this right?

Hopefully get this sorted by the summer to enjoy!! Make a nice end to a year refurb in the current house! will post pics when finished

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Just make sure the whole thing cant move laterally or up and down. You'd be surprised how a deck can move if not ecured

secure it on posts and do it properly first time. Its not that hard to do and youll have a deck that wont move or bounce.

Really, you don't want to be laying timber directly onto concrete. minimize the contact area with padding (such as brick), else it may start to rot.

Sponsored Links
secure it on posts and do it properly first time. Its not that hard to do and youll have a deck that wont move or bounce.

Is this better than using brick pillars, as I want to lay a raised deck and have got plenty of bricks to use up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back