Decking - Reg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on decking my back patio, but having a headache over what is and what isn't allowed with regards regulations!

I currently have slabs covering 2 meters out from my house, im looking at extending the decking a further 2 metres. So a total of 4m decking from my patio doors. The problem being that the land is at a slope, and if i extend another 2m directly from the current patio, then the top of my deck will be 1.2m off the ground at the opposite end (hope this makes sense?!). The deck will be starting at ground level at my patio doors but taking into account the slope it will be 1.2m from the ground at the other end.

I spoke to a girl at my Council (Scotland) Planning dept, all she would say was that the deck can't be 30cm off the ground! I tried explaining my scenario but she didn't want to commit to an answer, she said as long as it doesn't infringe on your neighbours (would rather not ask neighbours opinion) then it shouldn't be a problem!

I had a 'professional' company out to give me design idea's and a quote but to be honest they didn't seem to know/care what the regulations where, they said just said my design idea was ok - as long as my one (semi-detached) neighbours don't complain.

So, im still none the wiser and summers fading away fast. I need some pointers and advise. Anyone have any info on regulations? i'd be very grateful :(

Sponsored Links
Providing your property has PD (Permited Development) rights in place, then you can do the following without the need in submitting a planning application...

From 1 October 2008 putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:

• The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground
• Together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommondecking

Providing your property has PD (Permited Development) rights in place, then you can do the following without the need in submitting a planning application...

From 1 October 2008 putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:

• The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground
• Together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommondecking[/QUOTE]
DD, the PD rights to which you refer only apply to England not Scotland. I do not know what if any PD rights exist in Scotland so cannot help the OP tbh. I'm not entirely sure what the OP is proposing either and would suggest another call to his Planning Department, they are obliged to tell you what does and does not comply, if you don't understand what they say ask them to explain it until they do!

speak to the council and ask again, try for someone different. The regulations are really intended to stop monstrosities that overlook neighbours, but i have to say i think they are ridiculous. Im doing some plans for a client at the moment for submission as its combined with a planning application for a conservatory. A lot of councils either arent intrested or just want a quick sketch to satisfy themselves. A LOT of people just get on and build them regardless so its really up to you

Sponsored Links
speak to the council and ask again, try for someone different. The regulations are really intended to stop monstrosities that overlook neighbours, but i have to say i think they are ridiculous. Im doing some plans for a client at the moment for submission as its combined with a planning application for a conservatory. A lot of councils either arent intrested or just want a quick sketch to satisfy themselves. A LOT of people just get on and build them regardless so its really up to you

I think i'll go for it and start building! I have just been thinking too much into it, as the neighbours made the point when i moved in that they'd be keeping an eye on all the works i've had done - to make sure they where within regulation. Everything i have had done has been approved, but come the final job no one wants to know (architect/local planning/builders) they've all been paid for the big jobs :rolleyes:

I have now amended plans slightly so the deck will now be 2 metres from the dividing fence, it may be slightly high in places but its well within my own land and doesn't overlook their garden.

thanks for all your feedback :)

i think the regs are farsical. if you take it to the letter of the regs, many gardens have undulating ground and some parts are above the 300mm mark. im doing one for a garden at the moment on a hillside where they are projecting the deck 4m into a heavily wooded area they own. If the council object they will build a retaining wall at the bottom and infill the hillside to level it out. Whats the difference?

The regs as they currently stand are farcical, however it does stop Mr Smith who lives in a terrace house building a deck and being able to peer straight into his neighbours garden! Hopefully at some point they'll introduce a 'within 2m of a boundary' ruling or whatever to make it more relevant.

no i do understand it from that point of view as i have seen some absolute blots on the landscape but i agree it has been badly worded and thought out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back