Decking without digging / alternatives / plastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Firstly this is my first decking project so please go easy on me!

I have an image here that will definitely help explain where I am:

At the moment I have a slope that slopes away from the house to a garden wall.

The half of the garden nearest the wall is using supported decking (supported on concreted gate posts).

I'd like the half nearest the house to be decked but for it to be at the same level as the rest. The issue I have is that the area is about 6x2.5 meters made of rubble soil and chalk. To add joists here would mean a lot of digging and I'd probably have to hire a skip. I'm guessing that I'd need to dig at least 6 inches to make room for the bearers plus some extra so that the don't sit on the soil directly.

So my question is how could I do this with the least amount of digging?

My current ideas are:

Build a 6 inch from on the current decking to bring that side up
Plastic joists/bearers that are in trenches

That's about it for ideas! so any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
I would have the new decking level raised up from the old deck, aslong as it is not going to obstruct doors etc., bolt a ledger plate on to the house and leave a 10 - 15mm gap for water drainage etc. Also, consider the drop to allow water to flow away from the house.

I had a similar issue with mine at the rear of my garage and had to do the afore-mentioned above.

156142_3445884823046_924491795_n.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back