Decorating a wall effected by condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have incredibly cold bedroom walls (unable to have cavity wall insulation) so have thetefore been suffering from terrible condensation over the winter. We are anti-fungal washing the wall but desperately want to decorate as looks awful. What we best decorating with? Getting confused with different options but want it done asap. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Anti-fungal paint may help, but damp tends to win in the end.. Whatever you do tho, make sure you've all the mould off before you decorate - weak bleach should do the trick ok.

Just wondering what you've done to try and help the problem, rather than rely on paints. It sounds pretty bad at yours.

Just some thoughts, are the rooms big enough to consider drylining? I think it has to be done in a way that the condensation doesn't still get in there, but if done properly I think can help a lot. Heck of a job tho.

Other ways to help are to make sure the temp in the rooms is steady, keep the heating on overnight and don't let it get too cold. Air vents are good too, as well as dehumidifiers. The latter I think are fab, but noisy so perhaps not the best for your bedrooms at night. Even things like opening the kitchen windows when cooking, and using a dryer or on the line outside as much as possible, rather than putting damp clothes out to dry can help. One of our bedrooms in our old Vic terrace (no cavity insulation possible like you) is north facing and exposed on 2 sides. We keep the heat steady and use a dehumidifier and it's been nice and dry even tho the walls feel very cold to touch. Our previous owners had used cladding I guess for the cold/damp, but since we gutted it & used dehumids & heat there's been no probs.

Good luck and hope the decorating goes well :)

Great advice. Thank you blightymam. We have the anti fungal wash to clean the wall down first plus been advised on a paint to use as a base coat. Dehumidifier in situ and now it's getting a little warmer the window will be open almost all of the time!
We do use a dryer/line so at least I feel I am doing things right !

Ventilation is the key to any condensation problems. You can get humidisat fans that will stay on as long as there is condensation in the room. They work very well. What ever you paint on can still get condensation and mould on it.

Sponsored Links
I would retrofit trickle vents in any/all windows (as big as you can go)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back