Decorating before Sale ... Extent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're planning on moving house within around a year.

Carpets need replacing and walls need painting as a minimum.

There are a few walls that would benefit from plastering and outdoor fencing would ideally be replaced. However, I am wondering if this would be worth incurring the cost of if we are leaving?

The landing is artex. I imagine this would be expensive to deal with and plaster. We and the previous owners have lived with this and it's in good condition so we are unsure of whether to do it?

Boiler functions but has its moments. Radiators are old. Again would look good but expensive to replace.

I am thinking a general sprucing of carpets and paintwork is perhaps the best option?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, freshen or repaint to neutral tones (magnolia, boring, is fine) put new cheap carpets down if necessary again neutral tone. Don't bother with anything else. Maybe see if you can make the fence cosmetically better on the cheap. Remember the above may make your house more saleable, but it won't affect it's price, well it might marginally.

Anything else, you're wasting your money.

A recent boiler service with receipt would put minds at rest, most people would view with a mind to change colours anyway whatever you do but bold colours might put people off buying. New or good looking fencing would be good as well. Whatever you do or dont do will be reflected in the asking price and for my last sale I just tarted it up.

Easy, paint all ceilings and walls white. Very cheap to do and makes a BIG difference. Lots of property developers do it.

Andy

Sponsored Links
When I recently moved we reglossed the woodwork on the stair case balistur/banister/whatever its called (I'd already replaced and painted skirting boards when doing the floor) and whacked fresh white on all ceilings, and touched up any skuffs etc on walls and architraves. Use water based gloss so it doesn't smell for ages. Bit of filler on any holes or cracks first. Caulk round any cracks on door frames.

Took a few evenings over a few weeks. No hassle, minimal cost.

Massive difference.

New owners repainted it all anyway- but the blank canvas helps make it look good.

Before viewings:
Other thing, obvious to me, but not obvious to the sellers of some houses we saw, was make it clean.

Clean the dust off skirting boards and doors. Clean the windows, inside and out. Mow the lawn. Empty the bins. Hide your clutter.

Good luck

Keep it basic. Clean, simple.

Paint the walls and ceilings. And the woodwork if it needs it.

Just keep it clean, anyone who is going to buy it will have their own opinion on decor, decoration . carpets etc . Fresh paint signals covering up faults .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back