Decorating Outside - Which Order?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to repair and repaint all outside window frames, three sides of a semi.

Apart from obvious things like, not sanding above when frames are wet beneath (!), what is the best order to do it all in?

eg do all the rubbing down, then all the u/c, all the glossing
do all the front, then the side then the back
do all the upstairs, then all the down,

etc

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ideally, in good weather conditions I would sand and repair all windows/doors first before spot priming and undercoating them leaving the gloss until last. Spot priming and using something like Crown Solo will save you having to use seperate undercoat, saving time and labour.

However, it's a bit cold to be doing outside work at the moment (I don't usually start outside work until April) but if you have to do it now I would recommend doing one or two frames at a time. This will allow you to get some parts completed in case bad weather causes delays. The last thing you want is to sand and repair all of the frames and then have to leave bare wood/filler open to the elements for weeks without any protection.

Depending on how much repair work there is and how long it will take you might be able to do all the upstairs first before starting the downstairs or just do one side at a time - it's really a matter of experience when it comes to knowing what and how much you can do at this time of year.

Totally agree with misterhelpful with regards to external painting this time of year. Humidity and temp will play havoc with your paint system.

If it is a must to paint now make sure any bare bits of wood have had time to dry out before starting, as timber will hold on to moisture like a sponge. Then just prep and prime one window at a time as the environment can change quickly this time of year.

Thanks for that.

In fact I am not planning on starting until the weather warms up!

My inclination is to u/c and gloss rather than one-coat, but if Crown Solo is that good then I'll do that. I bet the purists wouldn't use it....? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro decorator but have been around and done countless jobs for other people and I have to admit that Crown Solo (even though a diy paint, not trade) is a great product. I personally still prefer to use the Weathersheild system though but Solo is still a viable option that some prefer!

I presume the Solo needs a good rubbed-down surface to key to, rather than a quick wipe with a 400 grit?!

It doesn't need to be overly keyed but I tend to use nothing finer than 300 grit when using it. If you have a good existing smooth surface to work with 400 grit should be OK but you need to remove any sheen so it will need a bit more than just 'a quick wipe'. ;)

Thanks for that.

In fact I am not planning on starting until the weather warms up!

My inclination is to u/c and gloss rather than one-coat, but if Crown Solo is that good then I'll do that. I bet the purists wouldn't use it....? :confused:

WabbitPoo,

I take it that your existing paint system is in good condition and just appears lifless and dull in appearance, if so, into a suitable container pop in some warm water and just one squirt of household detergent, into that place in some 400 grit wet and allow to soak for a few minutes.

Lightly abrade, wipe off any slurry and allow to dry, then if there is no drastic change in colour apply one coat of Solo gloss, and yes the purists do use it because it in the correct situation it is one of the finest paint systems to ever hit the shelves.

Dec

Cool thanks for that. One window is worse, and will need a bit of tlc ie back to bare wood in places. But by and large, yes its renewing what's there really.

While I am here, is there a modern way of puttying in a pane? I have two beads of old putty that have come loose and need replacing. Is putty still the way to go? How long does putty take to harden off enough to paint over?

I just caught that email before signing out, I think you should offer a pic of that one window in order for us to help you further. I am away hunting now and will not be able to offer you a reply until tomorrow, yet you have my word that if the other guys on here dont offer you the advice you need, I will.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back