Decorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me an easy quick way to paint over walls previously coated with gloss paint?

Sponsored Links
Give the walls a wash down with wet and dry paper to key it. Then give it a couple of coats of the chosen emulsion. It might even take 3 coats depending on the starting and finishing colour. As always, don't take my word for it - wait for the approval of a "time served" tosher before proceeding. ;)

I'm sure that'd work Nestor, but I'd use that as a last resort if the keying didn't work. That's expensive stuff you know.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Give the walls a wash down with wet and dry paper to key it. Then give it a couple of coats of the chosen emulsion. It might even take 3 coats depending on the starting and finishing colour. As always, don't take my word for it - wait for the approval of a "time served" tosher before proceeding. ;)

Ok..mind your backs...expert coming through.... :evil:

Using wet and dry to form a key is probably the best form of preperation for paint..however

Is a hell of a task over a big area, a couple of square metres may take me an hour (especially if im being paid by the day!!)..a whole room could be a very long job..not to forget the fact that each sheet is about a quid..

Id rub the walls down using 100 grade aluminuim oxide paper (thats 'alooominham' to you nestor) and then coat em with either acrylic primer undercoat..or dulux super grip primer (thinned by about 20%) ..Zinseer, as Gcol says is expensive stuff over here...about 14 quid a quart...

Or..you could always use an oil based undercoat..thinned by about 20%...allow to cure thoroughly for a couple or three days...then emulsion it..out will stick fine...but the only problem is painting oil based paint over a large area isnt to clever fume wise

Zampa said:
Ok..mind your backs...expert coming through.... :evil:
That's funny :LOL:

Zampa said:
Using wet and dry to form a key is probably the best form of preperation for paint..however
Is a hell of a task over a big area, a couple of square metres may take me an hour (especially if im being paid by the day!!)..a whole room could be a very long job..not to forget the fact that each sheet is about a quid..
Zampa me owd china, you need to move your arm a bit faster and not be so particular. Only joking. Surely you only need to just lightly break the surface sheen though? I'd probably just run round the room with the random orbital sander, dust off and then wallop some paint on.

and then wallop :mad: some paint on.

Hmmm...says it all really doesnt it... :rolleyes:

tutututututututut...apply...the word is apply...

Your dead right though..you do only have to break the surface..etch it..but its a tough call doing a whole room like it..and quicker to paint...although you should still ket it up a bit

I'd probably just run round the room with the random orbital sander

...one word of advice...

Dont dip the sander in a bucket of water if your going to use it with wet and dry.. :eek: .Zuuuzzzzzzzzzzzz <----(poor attempt at an electric shock sound)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back