Decorative/Period Meter Cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating the hall way of a house built in 1875. There's an existing copboard containing gas/elec meters and fusebox etc is (i) falling apart and (ii) hideous.

Clearly there were no meter cupboards in 1875 but I'd like to replace it with something in keeping with the rest of the hall. I've had a look at a few websites etc but can't find anything suitable. Is this the sort of thing you buy or will it have to be built.

I'm pretty crap at this whole DIY thing so any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
build, sorry :cry:

Had a nasty feeling that was the case.

Will have to work out what I want it to look like then how to build it for me.
Or, as the last thing I did in wood was a teapot stand 25y ago, who can build it for me!

You failed to mention where the cup'd lies ? if at ground level you could build a hall stand over it.

Sponsored Links
some sort of antique cupboard or stand is what you want.

with a big enough door to have good access.

Our meter cupboard /hall stand started out in life as the top half of a kitchen dresser.
We picked it up for about a fiver at the local auction room, cut a big hole in the back, and hung it on the wall over the electric meter and fuse box.

We replaced the door glass with a couple of mirrors and added a row of coat pegs along the bottom rail that used to fill the gap between top and bottom halves of the dresser.

You might be able to base a cupboard on a kitchen unit, with appropriate door, cornice etc. etc. Use a wall unit if you only require 300mm-ish depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back